Extension of Stay
F-1 students are required to complete their academic programs within the time listed on their I-20s. If an F-1 student is not able to complete his or her program within this period of time, he/she may apply for an extension of stay.
- You must be currently maintaining status and making normal progress toward completing your educational objective.
- You must apply prior to the I-20 expiration date.
- You must meet one of the valid Department of Homeland Security (DHS) reasons for an extension:
- Compelling academic reason such as a change of major, research topics or research complications.
- Documented medical reason such as hospitalization or prolonged illness.
NOTE: Academic probation, suspension, or Curricular Practical Training are not valid reasons for a program extension.
I-20 Extension Application Process
Submit the following to the International Student Services Office (ISSO):
- Program Extension Form .The form must be signed by your academic advisor or academic department head .
- UT Dallas Financial Affidavit.
- Proof of funding.
- If the extension is for one semester or less, please submit proof of funds for one semester (half of one academic year).
- If the extension is for two or three semesters (one academic year), please submit proof of funds for one academic year. To determine the amount of funding required, please refer to the Estimate Expenses for I-20.
Processing time is five business days. The ISSO will send you an email when the I-20 is ready for pickup.