Maintain F-1 Status

In order to be eligible for F-1 benefits, such as employment, you must maintain your F-1 immigration status by meeting the following requirements:

  • Report to the International Office listed on your I-20. Follow Homeland Security and University transfer procedures to attend a new school.
  • Do not work without authorization and follow F-1 rules regarding on-campus and off-campus employment.
  • Always have a valid, unexpired passport and Form I-20. An unexpired F-1 visa is not required to maintain F-1 status.
  • Update your I-20 if you change majors or educational level.
  • Notify the University of each change of local address within ten days of the move. Do so through Galaxy or contact the Registrar's Office.
  • Enroll full-time every long semester unless approved for reduced enrollment by an international student advisor. Summer enrollment is not required unless it is your first semester in a new program.
  • Teaching/research assistants may have additional requirements, check with your academic department.
  • Make normal progress towards completing your degree. If you require more time on your I-20, follow extension procedures before the I-20 completion date.
  • Leave the U.S. when you are finished with your degree or Optional Practical Training, remaining in the U.S. for no longer than 60 days after completion.

If you have difficulty meeting the above requirements, please speak with an international student advisor.

If you do not follow the above requirements, you will be considered "out-of-status" and you must follow reinstatement procedures.

Related Topics