Transfer Out of UT Dallas
F-1 students holding a UT Dallas I-20 may choose to enroll full-time at another institution. In order to maintain their legal F-1 status, they must arrange to transfer their SEVIS record from UT Dallas and receive a new I-20 from the new institution. This requires coordination between the student, the UT Dallas International Student Services Office (ISSO) and the new institution.
- Apply for academic admission to the new institution.
- Meet with the international student advisor at the institution you wish to attend to determine their transfer I-20 process. Many schools require a SEVIS Clearance Form be signed by the student and UT Dallas to verify F-1 status. If requested, submit the form to the UT Dallas ISSO.
Note: completion of this form is not a commitment to any school. You may submit as many clearance forms as you have admission applications.
- Once you have been decided on the school that you want to attend full time, submit proof of admission and a Transfer-Out Form to the UT Dallas ISSO Office. See “timing” below for processing time information. Once this process is complete, this will finalize the transfer of your F-1 SEVIS record to the new school and UT Dallas will no longer be able to access your record.
Note: Only one school can have access to your SEVIS record at a time, so you can transfer your record to only one school.
- Once this is complete, contact the new school to complete any additional requirements so that they can issue your new I-20. At that point, you are responsible to maintain F-1 student status with the new school.
There are several things to consider when selecting a "transfer our release date" for your SEVIS F-1 record:
- Your “transfer out release date” should be after the last semester of enrollment at UT Dallas. For example, if your last semester of enrollment at UT Dallas is the spring semester, you may submit the transfer-out form anytime, but the “transfer out release date” listed on the form should be after the last day of the spring semester.
- You cannot continue to work on the UT Dallas campus beyond the “transfer-out release date.”
- If you are currently authorized for Optional Practical Training (OPT), the OPT automatically terminates when the “transfer-out release date” passes. You will want to choose a date that is after the last day you intend to work on OPT.
- If you are traveling internationally between the end of your last semester at UT Dallas and the first semester at the new institution, you cannot re-enter the U.S. on your current UT Dallas I-20. You must obtain a Transfer Pending I-20 from the new school and re-enter using that document.
- The transfer-in school may have deadlines to meet regarding transfer procedures and issuance of your new I-20. Check with the appropriate office at the new school.
Speak with a UT Dallas international student advisor if you would like assistance in determining the appropriate “transfer out release date” for your circumstances or have questions about the above process.