F-1 Transfer In to UT Dallas
F-1 Transfer Students
Read the Guide for International F-1 Transfer Students if you are transferring to UT Dallas from another U.S. institution.
Transfer students must meet the following criteria:
- Have gained admission to UT Dallas.
- Are F-1 students at another U.S. institution (currently enrolled, or just graduated, or completed their program, or on OPT).
- Plan to transfer their SEVIS immigration record to UT Dallas.
Apply for the UT Dallas I-20
The following documents are needed to apply for the UT Dallas I-20 form:
- The UT Dallas Financial Affidavit Form
- The UT Dallas Transfer Clearance Form
- Supplemental financial support documents, if applicable. All supplemental funding documents must meet the requirements listed on the UT Dallas website.
- Copy of the passport ID page. This is the page that shows your name, photo and expiration date.
- SEVIS immigration record. This is not a document, but your electronic immigration record. Talk to the immigration advisor at the school that holds your SEVIS record about the transfer out process.
When to Submit
Submit your documents and SEVIS immigration record to the UT Dallas ISSO before the start of classes. If you are traveling abroad over the summer, submit your documents early enough to re-enter the US with your UT Dallas I-20. You may view the UT Dallas academic calendar here to determine when the start of the semester will begin.
When Must A Transfer Student Start Classes
A student must begin classes at UT Dallas in the next available semester or within 5 months, whichever comes first, of the transfer release date or the OPT end date.
Summer session may be required for students who will transfer in to UT Dallas before completing a full academic year (two long semesters).
If you will not be starting classes within 5 months of your transfer in date, you will need to leave the United States with your transfer pending I-20.
How to Submit
To submit your documents to the ISSO, visit https://icomet.utdallas.edu.
- Login to using your UT Dallas NetID and password.
- On the menu to the left, locate and click 'Prospective Students'
- Click 'New Admit: F-1 Student'
- Under Requesting Your I-20, click F-1 I-20 Request
- Under Student Information, enter your first name and last name as written on your passport
- Enter your @utdallas.edu email address
- Enter your UTD ID number
- Select your Intended Educational Level
- Select Initial I-20 or Transfer I-20 to UT Dallas
- Select Yes or No if you have dependents who will need F-2 I-20s
- Under I-20 Information, select your Country of Birth
- Select your Country of Citizenship
- Enter your Passport Expiration Date (Month/Day/Year)
- Upload your Passport biographical page
- Read and check the box of understanding
- Click Submit
- Click F-1 Financial Affidavit
- Select the option that best fits your situation
- Select the source of your financial support (choose all that apply)
- Upload financial statements/bank documents here (Please combine all documents into a single .pdf file)
- Select Yes or Not if your funding documentation includes funding form a sponsor
- If yes, upload your completed Sponsor Financial Certification
- Type your full name and enter today's date
- Click Submit
- If you have dependents, click Dependent I-20 Request. If you do not have dependents, skip to the next section.
- Type your full name
- Enter today's date
- Select Spouse, Children, or Spouse and Children
- Upload your Financial Documentation
- Click Submit
- Click Transfer Clearance if you are transferring your I-20 to UT Dallas. If not, skip to the next section.
- Upload your completed Transfer Clearance Form
- Enter the SEVIS School Code of your current school
- Select your SEVIS Release Date
- Enter the full name of your Previous School
- Enter First and Last Name of DSO at your previous school
- Enter the email address of DSO at your previous school
- Click Submit
- Under Receiving your I-20, click How to Receive your UT Dallas I-20
- Select Express Mail through eShip Global, Authorize Someone to Pick up I-20, or Departmental Pick Up
- If you selected Express Mail, click Submit (UT Dallas will send your I-20 by Express Mail free of charge)
- If you selected Authorize Someone to Pick Up I-20, enter authorized person's First Name and Last Name, click Submit
- If you selected Departmental Pick Up, enter the name of the Academic Department, the first and last name of the Department Contact, the email address and phone number of the Department Contact, click Submit
- If you selected Express Mail, click Ship My I-20 Documents. If not, you have completed all required eforms and may logout.
- Review and select ‘I Understand’ for each statement and Submit
- Click Access eShipGlobal
- Logon with your UTD email address and password
- Select Receive Documents from University
- Enter your Student ID
- Enter your Country
- Enter Student Name or Contact Name
- Enter Address
- Enter City
- Enter State/Province
- Enter Zip Code/Postal Code (if applicable)
- Enter Phone Number
- Enter Email Address
- Select I-20 under Type of Document
- Click Continue
- Select a Mailing Service, click Continue
You have completed your express mail request.