An F-1 student in valid status may request that a spouse and/or children come to the U.S. as F-2 dependents.
- F-2 dependents are limited to spouses and children; no extended family or servants.
- F-2 dependents may not lawfully work or attend university in the U.S.
- An F-2’s status is dependent on the F-1. If the F-1 loses status or leaves the U.S. permanently, the F-2 status also ends.
- F-2 dependents are not eligible for Social Security Numbers (SSNs)
- F-2 dependents may depart and re-enter the United States with proper documentatio
- F-2 spouses may study incidental to status (may not earn or work toward a degree or certification), if over the age of 21.
- U.S. Embassies and Consulates will accept visa applications for same sex spouses just as they do for opposite sex spouses. Visit Non-immigrant visas for same sex married couples and dependents for more details.
- F-2 children are allowed to attend U.S. public schools (Kindergarten-12th grade) if under the age of 21.
- F-2 children lose their F-2 status once they marry or reach 21 years of age. If the F-2 child wants to remain in the U.S., he or she should apply for an independent status prior to the end of the F-2 status.
Requesting an F-2 I-20
You may request ISSO to add, or maintain your F-2 dependent(s) on your F-1 SEVIS record. Submit:
- I-20 Reprint or Update Form,
- UT Dallas Financial Affidavit and proof of funds for yourself plus $5,000 for a spouse and $3,000 for each child. See the Estimate Expenses for I-20 to determine the amount of funds needed for the I-20.
Provide your family members with the following, for their use at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate visa appointment:
- F-2 I-20s
- F-2 invitation letter (optional)
- Copies of the F-1 I-20
- Marriage or birth certificates. (Note: these are not required by the ISSO, but will be required by the visa officer)
- F-2 dependents are not required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee
If approved for the visa, the F-2 dependents may join the F-1 student for part or all of the F-1's stay (with exception of adult F-2 children mentioned above).
For more information regarding specific application documents, please contact an international student advisor.
Removing F-2 Dependents
You may request to have your F-2 dependent(s) removed from your F-2 record.
- UT Dallas Financial Affidavit and proof of funds for yourself See the Estimate Expenses for I-20 to determine the amount of funds needed for the I-20.
- Can I bring my dependents with me? http://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/dependents
- Who Can Study? Fact Sheet. http://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/Nonimmigrant%20Class%20Who%20Can%20Study.pdf
- Travel and Reentry for Dependents. http://www.ice.gov/sevis/travel/faq_f6.htm