Maintain Your Form I-20
F-1 regulations require students to possess valid, up-to-date Form I-20. There are a variety of situations that may arise that require a student to update the information on his or her I-20.
Official Change of Name Read more >>
Change of Finances Read more >>
You may update the finances portion of your Form I-20 at any time. Submit:
Adding Dependents Read more >>
You may add dependents (spouse and/or children) to your Form I-20. Submit:
- I-20 Reprint or Update Form,
- UT Dallas Financial Affidavit and proof of funds* for yourself plus $5,000 for a spouse and $3,000 for each child. See the Estimate Expenses for I-20 to determine the amount of funds needed for the I-20.
See F-2 Dependents for more information.
Change of Major Read more >>
Change of Level Read more >>
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security refers to certain changes between programs as a “change of level.” If you fit in one of the following situations, you must acquire a Change of Level I-20 to maintain F-1 visa status:
- Graduating from one degree program and starting another within five months.
- Moving from one degree program to another on a different educational level. For example, moving from a PhD to a Master's program without completing the PhD.
- Completing OPT and starting a new degree program within 5 months.
- Moving from OPT to a new program before the OPT end date.
Submit:Change of Level page for more information.
Program Extension Read more >>
F-1 students are required to complete their academic programs within an estimated period of time. If you are not able to complete your program before the end date on your I-20, you may be eligible for an extension of stay. Submit:Extension of Stay for more information.
*Proof of Funds
A new I-20 requires proof of funds sufficient for one year of estimated expenses and the UT Dallas Financial Affidavit. If you have questions about funding requirements to obtain a new I-20, please contact an international student advisor.