Maintain Your Form I-20
F-1 regulations require students to possess valid, up-to-date Form I-20s. There are a variety of situations that may arise that require a student to update the information on his or her I-20.
Official Change of Name
If your name has officially changed, you must report that change to the UT Dallas ISSO and update your Form I-20. Submit a I-20 Reprint or Update form with a copy of the ID page of your passport showing the new name. For all of your school records to match, you will need to submit a copy of the new passport to the Registrar’s Office, as well.
Change of Finances
You may update the finances portion of your Form I-20 at any time. Submit a I-20 Reprint or Update form, a completed UT Dallas Financial Affidavit and proof of funds. See the Proof of Funds section below for the amount of funds needed for the I-20.
You may add dependents (spouse and/or children) to your Form I-20. Submit an I-20 Reprint or Update form, a completed UT Dallas Financial Affidavit and proof of funds for yourself plus $5,000 for a spouse and $3,000 for each child. See the Proof of Funds section below to determine the amount of funds needed for the I-20.
Contact an international student advisor for more information regarding dependent issues, such as change of status or obtaining an F-2 visa.
Change of Major
If your academic major is changing and a new I-20 is required, it will be issued by the UT Dallas ISSO after classes begin in the semester of the new major. You will be sent an e-mail when the I-20 is ready to be picked up.
Change of Level
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security refers to a change between programs as a “change of level.” If you fit in one of the following situations, you must acquire a Change of Level I-20 to maintain F-1 visa status:
- Graduating from one degree program and starting another within five months.
- Moving from one degree program to another on a different educational level. For example, moving from a PhD to a Master’s program without completing the PhD.
- Completing OPT and starting a new degree program within 5 months.
- Moving from OPT to a new program before the OPT end date.
See the Change of Level page for more information.
Extending the I-20 end date: See Extension of Stay.
Proof of Funds
- For funding amounts, see page one of the UT Dallas Financial Affidavit.
- The funds can be from your personal accounts, UT Dallas, a family member or a sponsor.
- Other than funds provided by the school, funds must be liquid and readily accessible; no stock, land titles, etc.
- Financial statements must be recent, dated within the last six months. Copies and Internet statements are acceptable.
- Students who wish to include a scholarship or TA/RA funds on the I-20 must provide a copy of the scholarship or TA/RA letter.
If you have questions about obtaining a new I-20, please contact an international student advisor.