1/23/2014It's Tax Time! All people who resided in the United States between January 1 and December 31, 2013 must file a U.S. tax form.
Visit the ISSO Taxes webpage at http://www.utdallas.edu/isso/taxes/ to know what to do:
- If you did not receive any U.S. Source Income. Learn what form to file and the workshops available at UT Dallas to help you fill out this form.
- If you received any U.S. Source Income (wages, scholarships, housing stipends, cash awards, etc.). Learn how to access the UT Dallas provided FNIS web application to assist you in preparing your IRS tax forms.
- If you received forms such as a W-2, 1042-S, 1099, 1098-T. Learn what institution would have sent them and whether you can use them to prepare your taxes.
Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship Workshop
JSOM's Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship will host Civitas Capital Group to answer students' questions on OPT, H-1B, EB-5 and other visa types. The workshop is held on Thursday, February 6 in the JSOM Davidson Auditorium (JSOM 1.118). Two session times are available (10:30am and 12:30pm), with a free lunch served at 12:00pm. Online registration is required for this free event.
Immigration Attorney Seminar
Join the ISSO on Tuesday, February 18 at 3:00pm in the SU Galaxy Rooms to learn more about the secrets and strategies for full-time employment for foreign nationals interested in remaining in the United States. The ISSO immigration advising team will give you an overview of the extension of F-1 status under cap-gap regulations for students. Immigration Attorney David Swaim will then explain the transition from OPT to H-1B and Permanent Residency.
Graduation and Beyond
Is this the last semester in your academic program? Verify with your academic advisor regarding completion of academic requirements.
If you have completed your academic requirements
- Apply for graduation.
- If you wish to invite friends or family to come to the U.S. to attend your graduation ceremony, you may obtain invitation letters from the ISSO to use in the tourist visa process.
- If you will remain in the U.S. after graduation, make appropriate preparations, such as applying for OPT, starting another academic program or transferring out to another school.
If you find you will require another semester to complete requirements
- Notify the International Student Services Office (ISSO) at ISSOCurrent@utdallas.edu.
- Check the program end date on your I-20 to determine if you will require an extension on your I-20. If so, you must apply for it prior to the current expiration date.
The Good Neighbor Scholarship Program
The Good Neighbor Scholarship Program is accepting applications through February 21, 2014. The GNS encourages academically talented students from the countries of the Western (American) hemisphere to pursue higher education in the State of Texas. For further information, including eligibility and application form, visit the Center for U.S.-Latin America Initiatives’ web page at http://www.utdallas.edu/cuslai/files/GNSP-Application-Form_2014-15.pdf or contact Ms. Naida Ewing at email@example.com.
DISD Alternative Certification Program seeks DACA recipients
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients who are interested in becoming teachers. The Dallas Independent School District Alternative Certification Program will hold focus information sessions/presentations. You are invited:
Thursday, February 20, 2014
6:30 - 8:30 pm
Harold Lang Middle School, 1678 Chenault St, Dallas, TX 75228
Apply at: http://www.dallasisd.org/Page/710
For additional information contact Fernando Salazar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)?
The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals directive is open to individuals who came to the United States before the age of 16 and who also meet a variety of other guidelines. It defers any removal action for two years and allow recipients of deferred action the opportunity to gain employment authorization for that time as well, through the grant of an Employment Authorization Document.