Non-immigrant visas for same sex married couples and dependents


Effective immediately, U.S. Embassies and Consulates will adjudicate visa applications for same sex spouses just as they do for opposite sex spouses. They will also adjudicate visa applications for children acquired by same sex marriage.

Only a relationship legally considered to be a marriage in the jurisdiction (U.S. state or foreign country) where it took place establishes eligibility as a spouse for immigration purposes. 

For further information on this topic you can visit the U.S. Department of State website

To request a dependent UT Dallas I-20 for spouse or children, follow the instructions at the ISSO Financial Documents for I-20 webpage at   You do not need to submit to the ISSO copies of your marriage certificate or your stepchildren's birth certificates to qualify for an I-20.

For further advising on this topic, contact the International Student Services Office at 972-883-4189 or if you are a newly admitted student or if you are a currently enrolled student at UT Dallas.


Related Topics