ISSO Immigration Workshops Available in January
OPT Workshop for F-1 Students Learn about the OPT application process, reporting requirements, and employment and travel considerations. Workshops take place from 2:30pm to 3:45pm in SSB3.107 on January 15, 22, and 29.
Changing to F-1 Status Workshop Learn about the application process to change your immigration status to F-1. The workshops takes place from 2:00pm to 3:30pm in SSB3.107 on January 13 and 27.
International Center Closed for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
UT Dallas and the International Center will be closed on Monday, January 19, 2015 in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. The International Center will re-open on Tuesday, January 20, 2015. All email and task processing times will be delayed by one business day.
All people who resided in the United States between January 1 and December 31, 2014 must file a U.S. tax form. Visit the International Centers Taxes webpage to know what to do:
- If you did not receive any U.S. Source Income. Learn what form to file and the workshops available to help you fill out this form.
- If you received any U.S. Source Income (wages, scholarships, housing stipends, cash awards, etc.). Learn how to access the UT Dallas provided FNIS web application to assist you in preparing your IRS tax forms.
- If you received forms such as a W-2, 1042-S, 1099, 1098-T. Learn what institution would have sent them and whether you can use them to prepare your taxes.
Graduation and Beyond
Is this the last semester in your academic program? Verify with your academic advisor regarding completion of academic requirements.
- If you have completed your academic requirements
- Apply for graduation.
- If you wish to invite friends or family to come to the U.S. to attend your graduation ceremony, you may obtain invitation letters from the ISSO to use in the tourist visa process.
- If you will remain in the U.S. after graduation, make appropriate preparations, such as applying for OPT, starting another academic program or transferring out to another school.
- If you find you will require another semester to complete your program
- Notify the International Student Services Office (ISSO) at ISSOCurrent@utdallas.edu.
- Check the program end date on your I-20 to determine if you will require an extension on your I-20. If so, you must apply for it prior to the current expiration date.
Spring Graduation OPT Dates
If completing your academic program this semester and plan to apply for post-completion OPT, the ISSO will begin accepting OPT applications for Spring 2015 graduates on February 10, 2015. The last day USCIS can receive your OPT application is July 10, 2015.
J-1 Exchange Visitor Health Insurance Documents Required
J-1 students and J-2 dependents must submit proof of their health insurance for the Spring 2015 semester to the ISSO. Submit copies of acceptable proof of insurance to the ISSO by e-mail at ISSODocuments@utdallas.edu or in person during office hours.
Update Address in Orion
F and J students are required to update their current local address in Orion within 10 days of the change. Remember to check your current local address in Orion and update if necessary. If you need to change your foreign address in Orion, you may contact ISSOCurrent@utdallas.edu to request that your foreign address be updated.
Winter Storms Season
While severe winter storms are rare in Texas, the ISSO would like you to be prepared. Review the Winter Storms information on the UT Dallas Emergency Preparedness Information webpage for detailed information. In the event that ISSO staff are unavailable due to an emergency, call the UT Dallas Police Department at 972-883-2222. If the UT Dallas Police are unavailable, and you need critical immigration assistance or evacuation, contact the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) at SEVP@ice.dhs.gov, or call 703-603-3400.