ISSO Immigration Workshops Available in December
International Student Advisors are hosting various workshops throughout the month of December. All workshops take place in SSB 3.107.
- OPT for F-1 Students Learn about the OPT application process on December 4 and 11 at 2:30pm. The OPT Workshop scheduled for December 18th has been cancelled.
- Changing to F-1 Status Gain an understanding about the application process to change your status to F-1 on Tuesday, December 2 at 2:00pm.
- Overseas Travel for International Students Topics include procedures for renewing your visa and what to expect when re-entering the U.S. Bring your most recent I-20 or DS-2019 and a picture ID, so advisors can provide travel signatures and status letters for those students who need them. Workshops take place on December 9 and 16 at 2:00pm.
Prepare for Travel
- "While You Wait" Travel Endorsements and Status Verification Letters No need to wait one business day! The ISSO will be offering while you wait travel endorsements and status verification letters from 10:00am to 5:00pm on December 3 and 10. Bring a picture ID and your most recent I-20 or DS-2019.
- Immigration Documents Visit the ISSO webpages for Traveling Inside the U.S. and Traveling Outside the U.S for specific details on what immigration documents to carry when traveling.
Limited Immigration Advising Hours
- December 10, 2014 Due to the Student Affairs All-Staff Holiday Luncheon, walk-in and phone advising will not be available on December 10 from 11:30am to 1:30pm. Advising will resume at 1:30pm.
- December 19, 2014 In preparation of the campus and International Center closing for Winter Break, walk-in and phone advising will not be available on December 19. E-mail advising will be available. Please make arrangements to meet with an advisor prior to this date if needed.
UT Dallas and ISSO Closing for Winter Break
- The ISSO will be closed from Friday, December 19 at 5:00pm through Sunday, January 4, 2015 The ISSO will re-open on Monday, January 5, 2014 at 8:30am. Arrange for travel endorsements or other documents and advising requests prior to Friday, December 19.
- Mail Delivered to the ISSO Mail addressed to the ISSO that arrives during the Winter Break will be held at UT Dallas Central Receiving. Central Receiving will not be open during the Winter Break. Please make arrangements to collect your mail from the ISSO by December 19 at 5:00pm. If you are expecting USCIS mail to be delivered to the ISSO over Winter Break, you may change your mailing address with USCIS here.
Time Sensitive Notifications for F-1 Students
- Graduation and Beyond
- Before February 16, 2015. If you are an F-1 student, have completed your academic requirements and will remain in the U.S. after graduation, make appropriate preparations such as applying for OPT, starting another academic program or transferring out to another school.
- Before December 18, 2014. If your I-20 is about to expire, or you applied for Fall 2014 graduation but require another semester to complete academic requirements, notify the ISSO at ISSOCurrent@utdallas.edu.
- Change of Level
- Before Census Day, January 28, 2015. Students who will complete an academic program or end OPT in the Fall 2014 semester and will continue or begin another degree program in the Spring 2015 semester, must obtain a Change of Level I-20 to maintain their F-1 status.
- Before December 19, 2014. If you will travel abroad during the Winter Break, please request and obtain your new I-20.
- Change of Major
- Beginning of Spring Semester. Students whose primary major will change to a different Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP) code for the Spring 2015 semester, will be issued a Change of Major I-20 by the ISSO at the beginning of the Spring 2015 semester. These students will receive an e-mail notification when their new I-20 is ready to pick up.
J-1 Student Updates
- Health Insurance Requirement Update The Department of State has updated the student health insurance requirement amount and nature of coverage that J-1 students and J-2 dependents must maintain while participating in the J exchange program. These changes will take effect as of May 15, 2015. Students and dependents may also be subject to the Affordable Care Act. Detailed information will be provided to J-1 students in the coming months.
- Reporting Requirement Update The Department of State has updated the reporting requirements for J-1 students and J-2 dependents effective January 5, 2015. J-1 students and J-2 dependents will now be required to report changes of phone number, email, and physical residence within 10 days of the change. The ISSO will provide a reporting form for this process in the coming weeks.
Notifications for Permanent Residents
- Report your Permanent Resident Status to UT Dallas If you have been approved for U.S. Permanent Residency (PR), and have received a Permanent Resident card or an I-551 stamp from a U.S. consulate, you may change your student category at UT Dallas. Submit a copy of the card or stamp to the Registrar's Office and the ISSO. If you submit this proof prior to the Spring Census Day, all international student fees for the current semester will be dropped. Submissions after Census Day become effective in the following semester.
E-Verify Employer Search Tool
- USCIS now has an E-Verify search tool which can used to determine if a company is E-Verified or not. You may find the USCIS E-Verify search tool here.
ISSO Immigration Workshops Available in November
OPT Workshop for F-1 Students Learn about the OPT application process, reporting requirements, and employment and travel considerations. Workshops take place from 2:30pm to 3:45pm in SSB3.107 on November 6, 13, and 20.
Changing to F-1 Status Workshop Learn about the application process to change your immigration status to F-1. The workshop takes place from 2:00pm to 3:30pm in SSB3.107 on Tuesday, November 18.
Have you ever considered how your socio-economic status affects the way you eat? Gain a deeper understanding of food distribution and poverty in our world during this interactive event on Monday, November 10 from 1pm to 3pm located in the Student Union . To reserve your seat at the Hunger Banquet, complete the online form here.
International Education Week
International Education Week is an opportunity to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide. International Education Week is sponsored by the UT Dallas International Center and runs from November 10-12, 2014. Students, staff, faculty and community members are invited to participate in the week's events.
Telephone Scam Alert
Recently, several UT Dallas students have been contacted via telephone or email by person(s) representing themselves to be agents of either the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or U.S. Immigration in reference to the student owing back taxes or fees. The fake "agent" threatens the student with jail time or deportation if the money isn't immediately paid. The fake "agent" will attempt to get the student to provide their credit card information, have them wire the money to an anonymous Western Union Account or deposit the money in an unknown account. Neither the IRS nor any other government agency conducts business in this manner. Do not deposit money in unknown accounts or provide your credit information to persons unknown to you. If you receive such a call, contact your local police department.
- If you have been the victim of a telephone scam, you can file a police report and report it to the Federal Trade Commission at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/.
- You can visit www.uscis.gov/avoidscams for information on where to report scams in your state.
- If you have a question about your immigration record, you can call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283, or make an InfoPass appointment by visiting the USCIS website at http://infopass.uscis.gov/.
UT Dallas and International Center Closed for Thanksgiving
UT Dallas and the International Center will be closed on Thursday, November 27, 2014 and Friday, November 28, 2014 for the Thanksgiving holiday. The International Center will re-open on Monday, December 1, 2014. Arrange for travel endorsements or other documents and advising requests prior to Thursday, November 27.
UT Dallas and International Center Closing for Winter Break
UT Dallas and the International Center will be closed from Friday, December 19, 2014 at 5pm through Sunday, January 4, 2015. The International Center will re-open on Monday, January 5, 2015 at 8.30am. Arrange for travel endorsements or other documents and advising requests prior to Friday, December 19. If you use the International Center's mailing address for receiving immigration mail, please be aware that mail will be held at the UT Dallas Central Receiving Office. Central Receiving will announce dates and times their office will open during the Winter Break so you may collect any immigration mail, such as EAD card. Please refer to the December Immigration Newsletter for specific dates and times.
Prepare for Winter Break Travel
Many international students choose the Winter Break to travel. For specific details on what immigration documents to carry, visit the ISSO webpages for Traveling Inside the U.S. and Traveling Outside the U.S.
Winter Storms Season
While severe winter storms are rare in Texas, the ISSO would like you to be prepared. Review the Winter Storms information on the UT Dallas Emergency Preparedness Information webpage for detailed information. In the event that ISSO staff are unavailable due to an emergency, and you need immigration assistance or evacuation, contact the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) at SEVP@ice.dhs.gov, or call 703-603-3400.