J-1 On-Campus Employment

J-1 students may work on-campus, but must have authorization from the International Student Services Office (ISSO).

Written authorization must be obtained prior to starting any employment, including teaching and research assistantships.

On-campus employment authorization can be given for up to one year at a time. Authorization must be renewed each year to remain valid.


  1. Submit a copy of proof of on-campus employment to the ISSO.
  2. An international student advisor will update your immigration record and create a letter of authorization.
  3. Processing time is one business day. You will be emailed when the letter is ready for pickup.

Social Security Card

Visit the Social Security Number webpage for more information.

Related Topics