J-1 Enrollment Requirements
J-1 students are required to enroll in full-time coursework during fall and spring semesters:
- Undergraduates = 12 credit hours
- Graduates = 9 credit hours
- Summer is optional unless it is your first semester at UT Dallas.
All courses must apply to your degree to be counted toward the full-time requirement:
- Unlike F-1 students, J-1 students may not count online courses toward the full-time requirement.
- You cannot take all the full-time requirement hours as pre-requisite courses.
- At least one of your full-time requirement courses must cover the full 16-week session.
- If it is your last semester and you lack only one class to complete your degree, that course cannot be taken online.
- Not enrolling in enough hours, dropping below full-time during the semester or taking too many online courses are all F-1/J-1 violations that can lead to the termination of your visa status.
J-1 Students - Alternative ways to meet the full-time enrollment requirements:
- Authorized reduced enrollment for medical or academic reasons - Authorization must be issued by an international student advisor prior to reducing enrollment.
- Graduating semester - Apply for graduation or submit a Reduced Enrollment Form to the International Student Services Office (ISSO) by Census Day of your final semester.