J-1/J-2 Student Insurance
The U.S. Department of State requires J-1 students and their dependents to carry medical, evacuation and repatriation insurance throughout their participation in the J-1 program and while in the U.S. Willful failure of J-1 students to maintain insurance that meets requirements for them and their dependents will lead to termination of their participation in the J-1 program.
Minimum requirements for the medical, evacuation and repatriation insurance:
- The insurance is applicable for use in the U.S. medical system
- Medical: $50,000 or more per accident or illness
- Deductible: $500 or less per accident or illness
- Medical evacuation: At least $10,000 of coverage
- Repatriation: At least $7,500 of coverage
- Business rating: Meets federal solvency guidelines
UT Dallas insurance available to J-1 students and their dependents
- Upon enrollment for each term, the cost for a semester of student health insurance is assessed to every international student. Dependents can be added to the health insurance policy for an additional cost. Contact the Student Health Center to add dependents to your insurance.
- If you are a J-1 student and will not enroll in classes for summer, contact the Student Health Center to have the insurance continue during summer semester.
- Find the insurance plan details, period of coverage and costs at utdallas.edu/healthcenter/insurance/intl-policies.html
Alternative insurance for J-1 students and their dependents
If you are a J-1 student and have alternative insurance, ensure that the plan:
- Meets or exceeds the minimum requirements established by the U.S. Department of State.
- Covers you and your dependents throughout your stay in the U.S.
- Provides you with appropriate documentation to complete the ISSO and J-1 insurance requirement no later than Census Day.
J-1 students with alternative insurance can:
- Have the insurance fee in their account waived by the Student Health Center. For details visit this website
- Buy the medical evacuation and repatriation insurance offered by UT Dallas if enrolled in classes at UT Dallas. For details contact the Student Health Center at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Complete the ISSO J-1 insurance requirement
Submit copies of acceptable proof of alternative insurance to the ISSO by e-mail at ISSODocuments@utdallas.edu or in person during office hours. The documents of proof of insurance need to meet requirements: