Maintain J-1 Status

In order to be eligible for J-1 status benefits such as on-campus employment, travel endorsements, program extensions, reduced enrollment, etc., you must maintain your J-1 immigration status. In order to maintain your status, you must:

  1. Report to the DSO at the school you are authorized to attend on your  DS-2019 for validation in SEVIS. You must follow DOS, DHS and university transfer procedures to attend a new school.
  2. Not work, either on or off campus, unless specifically authorized by the International Student Services Office (ISSO).
  3. Have a valid, un-expired passport, DS-2019 and I-94 card. A valid J-1 visa is not required to maintain J-1 status.
  4. Obtain a new DS-2019 prior to starting a new academic program.
  5. Notify the Registrar's Office of any change of residence or mailing address within ten days of any change. You may do so by accessing the Galaxy portal.
  6. Leave the U.S. by the anticipated completion date on your DS-2019. If you must remain in the U.S. past your completion date, follow extension procedures with the International Student Services Office.
  7. Abide by the J-1 grace period rules, including remaining in the U.S. for no longer than 30 days after completing a full course of study or a period of full-time Academic Training.
  8. Pursue a full-course of study in your degree program every long semester unless approved for reduced enrollment by your international student advisor. Undergraduates must take 12 credit hours per semester. Graduate students must take nine credit hours per semester. You do not need to be enrolled during the summer vacation unless it is your first semester or you are beginning a new academic program. If you are a teaching or research assistant, your academic department may have specific hour requirements.
  9. Make normal progress towards completing your course of study by completing your studies before the expiration of the program completion date on your DS-2019.
  10. Maintain sufficient insurance coverage for you and your dependents for the full period of stay in the U.S.

If you have difficulty meeting the above requirements, please speak with an international student advisor.

If you do not follow the above requirements you will be in violation of your J status and could lose your visa.

Related Topics