J-1 Academic Training
- Can be taken before or after program completion.
- Part-time while classes are in session, full-time during vacation periods.
- Full-time during session may be possible if all coursework completed and only dissertation remains.
- Duration up to 18 months for graduate students, 36 months for post-doctorates
- Authorization is granted by the institution that issued your DS-2019.
- Valid J-1 status.
- Good academic standing.
- Proposed employment is directly related to your major field of study.
- Maintain J status requirements during training, such as enrollment, insurance coverage and maintenance of your DS-2019.
- Make an appointment to meet with an international student advisor to review the requirements and limitations of the Academic Training period and obtain a request form.
- Have the form completed and signed by the appropriate academic personnel.
- Submit the form to the International Student Services Office (ISSO).
Processing is three business days. You will be emailed with a new DS-2019 is ready for pickup noting the work/training authorization.