J-2 Dependents

A J-1 student in valid status may request for a spouse and/or children to join him or her as J-2 dependents.

  • J-2 visas are limited to spouses and children, no extended family or servants.
  • J-2 dependents are allowed to study and work in the U.S. In order to work, the J-2 will have to apply for work authorization from USCIS.
  • J-2 children are allowed to attend U.S. public schools (Kindergarten-12th grade).
  • A J-2’s status is dependent on the J-1. Should the J-1 lose his or her status or leave the U.S. the J-2 status also ends.
  • J-2 children lose their J-2 status once they marry or reach 21 years of age. If the J-2 child wants to remain in the U.S., he or she should apply for an independent status prior to the end of the J-2 status.


  • Request an J-2 DS-2019 (required) from the International Student Services Office (ISSO). Meet with an international student advisor for details.
  • Request an J-2 invitation letter (optional) from the ISSO.
  • Provide your family members with the following, for their use at a U.S. embassy or consulate visa appointment:
    • J-2 DS-2019s
    • J-2 invitation letter (optional)
    • Copies of the J-1 DS-2019
    • Marriage or birth certificates (Note: these are not required by the ISSO, but will be required by the visa officer)
    • J-2 dependents are not required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee
  • If approved for the visa, the J-2 dependents may join the J-1 student for part or all of the J-1’s stay (with exception of adult J-2 children mentioned above).

None: J-2 dependent must be covered by sufficient medical and repatriation insurance for the duration of their stay in the U.S.

For more information regarding specific application documents, please contact an international student advisor.

Related Topics