17-Month Extension Maintaining Status During STEM Extension
Limits on Unemployment
To maintain F-1 visa status, students on the 17-month extension must not exceed a total of 120 days of unemployment, counting from the beginning of the initial OPT period.
Reporting RequirementsStudents on the 17-month extension have more reporting requirements than other OPT students.
- All changes in employment and all periods of unemployment
- Two additional reports
- Validation of employment at 6 months after the start of the extension
- Validation of employment at 12 months after the start of the extension
EXAMPLE: STEM Extension5/1/2014 - 9/30/2015
Validation Due Dates
- 6 months after start date – 11/1/2014 - Within 10 days of 11/1/2014
- 12 months after start date – 5/1/2015 - Within 10 days of 5/1/2015
How to Report
- After any change of name, address, starting employment or ending employment, submit an OPT Reporting Form to the ISSO.
- During the following reporting periods, submit a STEM Validation Report Form to the ISSO:
- Six months after the extension start date - You may submit the report up to 15 days before the 6-month date and as late as 31 days after the 6-month date.
- 12 months after the extension start date - You may submit the report up to 15 days before the 12-month date and as late as 31 days after the 12-month date.
- It is vital that you submit the correct forms at the correct times to meet the reporting requirements. Submit all reports to the ISSO via scan/email to ISSOCurrent@utdallas.edu,fax,mail or in person.
For more information about the post-completion OPT extension, contact an international student advisor.