Maintaining Status During 17-Month STEM Extension
Limits on Unemployment
To maintain F-1 visa status, students on the 17-month extension must not exceed a total of 120 days of unemployment, counting from the beginning of the initial OPT period.
Students on the 17-month extension have more reporting requirements than other OPT students.
- All changes in employment and all periods of unemployment
- Two additional reports
- Validation of employment at 6 months after the start of the extension
- Validation of employment at 12 months after the start of the extension
Homeland Security has indicated that OPT students who do not fulfill the validation report requirements may lose their F-1 status.
EXAMPLE: STEM Extension
5/1/2014 – 9/30/2015
Validation Due Dates
- 6 months after start date – 11/1/2014 – Within 10 days of 11/1/2014
- 12 months after start date – 5/1/2015 – Within 10 days of 5/1/2015
How to Report
- After any change of name, address, starting employment or ending employment, submit an OPT Reporting form to the ISSO.
- During the following reporting periods, submit a STEM-Report to the ISSO:
- Six months after the extension start date – You may submit the report up to 15 days before the 6-month date and as late as 31 days after the 6-month date.
- 12 months after the extension start date – You may submit the report up to 15 days before the 12-month date and as late as 31 days after the 12-month date.
- It is vital that you submit the correct forms at the correct times to meet the reporting requirements. Submit all reports to the ISSO via scan/email to ISSOCurrent@utdallas.edu,fax,mail or in person.
NOTE: Changes of address reported on the OPT Reporting Form affect only the SEVIS immigration system. To update your address in the student information system (Orion) do so through Galaxy (current students) or the Registrar’s Office(alumni).
For more information about the post-completion OPT extension, contact an international student advisor.