All people who resided in the United States between January 1 and December 31, 2013 must file a U.S. tax form.  Please read the following carefully.

If you did not receive any U.S. Source Income: 
If you did not receive U.S. Source Income in 2013 but were present in the United States any time during the year, you are required to complete and mail IRS Form 8843.  The 8843 form and instructions are found on the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website.  The 8843 form is relatively simple, however if you would like guidance on this form, attend a workshop in SSB 3.107 on:

  • Tuesday, February 4 @ 11:00am
  • Tuesday, February 25 @ 2:00pm
  • Tuesday, March 25 @ 2:00pm
  • Friday, April 11 @ 1:00pm

Note for the 8843 form:  

  • Item 9 = The University of Texas at Dallas, 800 W. Campbell Road, Richardson, TX 75080, 972-883-2111
  • Item 10 = Cristen Casey, 800 W. Campbell Road, SSB34, Richardson, TX 75080, 972-883-4189.

If you received any U.S. Source Income (wages, scholarships, housing stipends, cash awards, etc.): 
If you received wages in 2013, or received any scholarships, housing stipends, or cash awards, you are required to file a U.S. tax form.  UT Dallas provides FNIS (Foreign National Information System), a web-based software application that assists in preparation of IRS Tax Forms, and is designed to address any tax questions you may have.  UTD current students and UTD Alumni on OPT will be granted access.

To gain access to the tax software, complete the Request for FNIS Access form.  Visit the Foreign National Information System website for more information.  Contact the UT Dallas Tax Compliance Office by email at with questions.   

As a reminder, the tax forms you may receive are:

W-2 Form

If you received wages (any employment) in the United States during 2013.

Sent by your employer.
UT Dallas mailed W-2 forms in late January. Contact your payroll department if you have not received this form.


If you received a scholarship, award, or housing stipend from a university.

If you received this type of funding from UT Dallas, email  We recommend that you do not complete your tax return until you know whether or not you will receive a 1042-S.   


If you were accidentally employed as an independent contractor.  This should not be the case for most international students.  If you had interest income from a bank or investment.

Sent by the company for which you worked, or by a bank or investment company.  Have on hand when preparing your taxes, although as an international student, the instructions may not require you to report this interest income.   Follow instructions on Internal Revenue Service (IRS) forms.


Available to students who are treated as a US resident for tax purposes.

More information can be found on the Bursar Office website:

WARNING: If you are a non-resident for tax purposes you are not eligible to receive the educational credits associated with the 1098-T form, even if the form was mailed to you.

FNIS (FOREIGN NATIONAL Information System) is designed to assist with Federal Non-Resident Tax Returns.   If you are considered a Non-Resident alien, the UT Dallas Tax Compliance Office recommends that you do not use general tax software packages designed for U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents, as it will likely lead to errors and amended tax returns.

If you have further questions: 
Please note that UT Dallas employees are not experts on tax filing, and we are not able to answer student-specific questions about taxes.  The information above is provided in good faith, however complex or legal questions should be addressed by a tax expert.   If you need information on tax filing, we recommend you look to the following resources:

ISSO Tax Newsletter

How to Mail

  • Envelopes and stamps are available at the UT Dallas Bookstore.
  • Address to (see sample below):
    Department of the Treasury
    Internal Revenue Service Center
    Austin, TX  73301-0215
  • Use blue mailbox located outside the Activity Center to mail letters.

Related Topics