Travel Guide to UT Dallas
Timing of Arrival
- USCIS immigration regulations allow F-1 and J-1 students to enter the United States no earlier than 30 days prior to the start date on the I-20 or DS-2019.
- Consider the dates of all required international student orientations.
Port of Entry
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement provides information on what an F-1 student or J-1 exchange visitor can expect upon arrival at a U.S. port of entry. You may want to download and print this information to carry it with you as you travel to the U.S.
- UT Dallas' cultural student organizations can also offer suggestions of what to bring to the U.S.
What to Pack
- Pack Light — Visit the U.S. Transportation Security Administration where you can determine which items are prohibited for air travel. www.tsa.gov
- Clothes — The weather in Texas changes with the seasons. It is very hot during the summer (High 100 degrees Fahrenheit / 37 degrees Celsius), and cold in the winter (Low 32 degrees Fahrenheit / 0 degrees Celsius).
- Fashion — While there is no formal dress code at U.S. universities, most students dress casually such as jeans and shirts. It is recommended that you bring at least one semi-formal outfit.
- Mementos from Home — You may want to bring items that remind you of home. You may also want to bring traditional dress from your country for festivals and/or special occasions.
- Household Items — Plan on purchasing most of your household items (small electrical appliances, kitchenware, bed sheets, towels, etc.) once you arrive.
- Valuables — We recommend that you put valuable items in your carry-on bag in case your suitcase gets lost or misplaced during your flight. Have your immigration documents with you during your flight.
- Important Documents — Consider having your important documents (school transcripts, marriage license, medication prescriptions, etc.) translated into English before you leave your county.
Transportation to Dallas
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) (26.1 miles/ 42 kilometers from campus)
- Dallas Love Field Airport (20.1 miles/ 32 kilometers from campus)
Train and Bus Services
- AMTRAK arrives at Union Station in downtown Dallas (20 miles/ 32 kilometers from campus)
- Greyhound arrives in downtown Dallas (20 miles/ 32 kilometers from campus)
Getting to UT Dallas
These are local transportation options to get you to UT Dallas from the airports, train and bus stations.
- Shared Rides (Shuttle Services) can cost between $25 to $40. Two popular services are:
- City Shuttle 214-760-1998
- SuperShuttle 800-258-3826
- Taxi cabs from DFW Airport to UT Dallas generally range from $55 to $75. Taxis wait outside the airport.
- Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) is the local bus and light rail train service. The DART can get you from Love Field Airport and downtown Dallas transportation locations, but it is not available at DFW airport. To get to UT Dallas, take the DART Red Line (light rail) going north, and stop at the Bush Turnpike Station to take Route 883 (UT Dallas Shuttle).
- Some UT Dallas student organizations provide transportation for new students from the DFW airport to campus. The following groups have provided this service in the past:
- Indian Student Association
- Bangladesh Student Organization
- Iranian Student Community
- Friendship Association of Chinese Students and Scholars
For driving directions to UT Dallas, visit utdallas.edu/directions.