Laptop Use & Checkout Policy
|A laptop is the customer’s responsibility while they have it checked out. If you check out a laptop, please do not leave it unattended, even for a few seconds. If a laptop or any of its accessories are lost, stolen, or damaged while checked out to you, you will be charged a replacement fee of up to $1,000 and a $25 processing fee in addition to any applicable overdue fines.|
Laptops are available for check-out to:
- UT Dallas students, enrolled in the current semester
- UT Dallas faculty and staff
Check out a laptop from the Multimedia Desk* using
a valid Comet Card. If you owe the Library fines or fees, you must
pay these charges before you can check out a laptop. Laptops may be taken out of the library.
To checkout laptops, customers must have a current Laptop Agreement form on file. Forms can be filled out at the Multimedia Services desk.
Laptops cannot be reserved. They are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
*When the Multimedia Services desk is closed, check out and return laptops to the Services/Circulation desk.
Library's laptops check out for up to 6 hours . Laptops are not available for renewal, though another laptop may be checked out if available. Laptops must be returned 15 minutes before the library closes.
Late FinesLaptops with 6 hour loan periods incur late fines of $.10 per minute, with a $50 maximum fine.
- Laptop use is for academic purposes only.
- Currently, laptops only have on-campus access to the UT Dallas network. This means that laptops cannot be logged into off-campus.
- Documents should be saved to a flash drive, e-mailed, or printed. Documents saved to a laptop’s hard drive will be automatically deleted when the laptop is powered off or rebooted.
- Laptops may not be placed in book drops. They must be returned in person and handed to a library staff member at either the Multimedia or Services/Circulation desk.
- Report any computer malfunctions to library staff at the time the laptop is returned.
PrintingEach laptop is capable of sending a print job to one of the printers in the Copy Center. You must have money on your comet card to print. Cost of printing in black and white is $.06 per page and color is $25 per page.
Applications Available on Laptops
- Adobe Reader 9
- Internet Explorer 8
- JCreator LE
- Matlab 2009
- Mozilla Firefox 3.6
- MS Access 2010
- MS Excel 2010
- MS Office Tools 2010
- MS PowerPoint 2010
- MS Publisher 2010
- MS Word 2010
- Power DVD
- Real Player
- Share Point
- Windows DVD Maker
- Windows Media Player
- Win Sp
Browser helpware applications:
- Adobe Reader
- Java 6.022
- McAfee SiteAdvisor Enterprise
- QuickTime plugin
Additional Guidelines and Reminders
- The library is not responsible for files left on a laptop by customers.
- Customers are financially responsible for laptops and laptop accessories that are damaged, lost, or stolen.
- Never leave a laptop unattended.