Laptop Use & Checkout Policy
|The laptop is your responsibility while it is checked out to you. Do not leave it unattended, even for a few seconds. If a computer or any components are lost, stolen, or damaged while checked out to you, you will be charged a maximum of $2,500.00 replacement cost, a handling fee of $25.00, and overdue fines, if applicable.|
Laptops are available for check-out to:
UTD Students, enrolled in the current semester
UTD Faculty or Staff members
Check out a laptop from the Multimedia Desk* using a valid Comet Card. If you owe the Library fines or fees, you must pay these charges before you can check out a laptop.
The checkout period for laptops is 6 hours and can be renewed at the Multimedia Desk* unless another user is waiting. Laptops are available on a first-come first-served basis and may not be reserved. Return the laptops to the Multimedia Desk.* Report any computer malfunction at the Multimedia Desk. Laptops must be turned in at least 15 minutes before the library closes.
*When the Multimedia Desk is closed, check-out and return laptops to the Circulation/Reserve Desk. Laptops must be turned in at least 15 minutes before the library closes.
$0.10 per minute, $50.00 maximum
(additional $0.10 per minute will apply for checked-out headsets)
Fines must be paid at the Bursar’s Office in Student Services Building or through the Online Store. There is no grace period.
- Laptops can only be used within the library. The library is defined as within the electronically secured area on the 2nd floor, the 3rd floor and the 4th floor.
- Documents must either be saved to your H-drive a diskette or memory key (“USB drive”), burned to a CD-R/CD-RW, e-mailed, and/or printed.
- Documents saved to the hard drive will automatically be deleted when the laptop is rebooted or powered off.
- Computers must be handed back to a Multimedia Desk staff member to be checked in. Please do not lay them on the desk and walk away – wait to ensure all items have been removed from your account.
Each laptop is capable of sending a print job to one of the printers in the Copy Center. YOU MUST HAVE MONEY ON YOUR COMET CARD TO PRINT. Cost of printing is $0.06 per page.
Laptops also have the option of printing to the Color Printer in the Copy Center. The cost for color printing is $0.25 per page. Color print jobs are paid for and released at the color printer in the Copy Center.
Applications Available on Laptops
- Adobe Reader 9
- Internet Explorer 8
- JCreator LE
- Matlab 2009
- Mozilla Firefox 3.6
- MS Access 2010
- MS Excel 2010
- MS Office Tools 2010
- MS PowerPoint 2010
- MS Publisher 2010
- MS Word 2010
- Power DVD
- Real Player
- Share Point
- Windows DVD Maker
- Windows Media Player
- Win Sp
Browser helpware applications:
- Adobe Reader
- Java 6.022
- McAfee SiteAdvisor Enterprise
- QuickTime plugin
Additional Guidelines and Reminders
- SAVE YOUR WORK. Documents saved to the hard drive will be deleted when the computer is rebooted or powered off.
- The Library is not responsible for any files left on any laptop or for loss of or damage to a user's file during the loan period.
- The Library is not responsible for any computer viruses that may be transferred to, or from, a user's diskette.
- For help using laptops (both hardware and software), ask for assistance at the Reference Desk on the second floor of McDermott Library.
- The laptop is your responsibility while it is checked out to you.
- Never leave the laptop unattended.
- Report any computer malfunctions to the Multimedia staff.
What you should find in the bag:
- 1 Dell laptop computer
- 1 Power supply
- 1 Ethernet cable
- 1 Power cord
- 1 Mouse
Available User Documentation (PDF)Laptop Computer User’s Agreement @ McDermott Library
Laptop Computer User’s Guide @ McDermott Library
Wireless Internet Coverage in the McDermott Library
If you need to listen to a broadcast or CD, please request a headset from the Multimedia Desk.