Resources for UT Dallas Students Enrolled in Distance Education Classes
What resources are available at the UTD Library?
- Online Catalog
- Electronic Databases
- Electronic Course Reserves
- Electronic Books
- Electronic Journals
- Government Documents
- Useful Web Sites – These are websites that include online dictionaries, citation manuals, encyclopedias, etc.
- RefWorks – citation manager
Can a librarian help me to find and use the resources at UTD library?Yes. There are several ways for you to contact a librarian:
Click on the Ask A Librarian icon on the side of the page and then choose the most convenient way to reach a librarian.
- Ask a Librarian (email service) Questions are usually answered the same business day
- IM a UTD Librarian
- UT System Chat Reference Service Available:
- Monday-Thursday - 4pm - Midnight
- Sunday - 6pm - Midnight
- Contact an individual librarian by email or phone
- Call the Reference Desk at 972-883-2643
- Contact the librarian for DistanceLearning (firstname.lastname@example.org or 972-883-2627)
- You will need your Net ID. Go to Using Library Resources from Off-Campus for specific instructions.
How do I get my Net ID?Net ID is your User ID to login into any UTD computer resource. If you have forgotten your Net ID, go to https://netid.utdallas.edu/ for instructions on how to retrieve it or to reset your password.
Why would I need a Net ID if I’ll never be on campus?You will need your Net ID to access all of the library’s electronic resources (reserves, journal articles, eBooks, interlibrary loan, etc.) from off campus.
How can I get books and paper articles?Use Interlibrary Loan Services to get UTD paper materials delivered to you (distance learners only). Contact Kristen Palmiere for assistance in obtaining materials and options for document delivery.
What if I am an online student, but I live in one of the counties listed below?
Distance Learners are UTD students who live outside the boundaries of Collin, Dallas, Denton, Rockwall, or Tarrant counties.You would not be classified as a Distance Learner. You would still be able to access the electronic resources from off campus using your Net ID, but you would have to come on campus to use the print resources. You would then need a Comet Card, which you can get at the Comet Center in the Student Union on campus.
What is a Comet Card?It is your UTD ID card and is also your UTD library card.
Will I need a Comet Card?Only if you will be on campus and wish to use the library resources or if you need an ID that shows that you are a student at UTD. You may obtain your Comet Card at the Comet Center in the Student Union, or send an email to the Comet Card Office requesting an ID.
Email must include:
- Complete Student name
- Return mailing address (where to mail card)
- A .JPG “head shot” photo file attached to the email
- Fax a copy of Driver’s License (copy must be enlarged so we can see the picture on it). The fax is 972-883-6144