Women in STEAM
Women in STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) is a new living learning community experience being piloted in fall 2017. The goal for this program is to increase retention of female students by offering a community of peers to provide support, a team of faculty for mentorship, coursework with an academic connection, and co-curricular programming to reinforce professional development.
Students interested in applying for this program must meet all of the following requirements:
- Be entering their sophomore through senior year.
- Major in engineering, computer science, arts and technology, or emerging media and communication.
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours.
- Enroll in the required coursework: Undergraduate Topics in Computer Science CS4V95.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75.
- Agree to live in the designated on-campus apartment area.
- Submit a complete application for consideration which includes short answer essays, a resume and two recommendations.
The application process is competitive. A selection committee consisting of faculty and staff will select 28 students to participate in this program. The application will open in the Spring 2018 semester. Those selected for participation in the community will be notified via their UTD email by May 5.
The application will open in the Spring 2018 semester and more information will be posted here about how to apply.
An application for Women in STEAM does not guarantee on-campus housing. Students wishing to secure on-campus housing must complete sign up or renewal by visiting utdallas.edu/myhousing. Students who have not previously lived on campus will be required to submit a $300 housing application fee and completed housing application once they have been selected to participate in the Women in STEAM LLC. The $300 fee includes a $100 non-refundable administrative fee and $200 pre-payment.