2013 Application Requirements
The McDermott Scholars application must be completed and submitted online. The application link may be found here.
McDermott Scholars applicants must apply to UT Dallas before January 6, 2013.
Please send a sealed official copy of your high school transcript (in addition to any transcript set to UT Dallas) to the McDermott Scholars office prior to submitting the online application.
Mail additional transcript to:
The Eugene McDermott Scholars Program - UT Dallas, 800 W. Campbell MC17, Richardson, Texas 75080
Selecting Your Recommenders
All recommenders must have an email address and access to the Internet so that they can submit their responses via our online system. An email will be sent to them notifying them to fill out their recommendation form. Please specify to them which recommender type they represent for this application and whether you are applying as "Priority" or "Regular" applicant, as the deadlines are different.
- The four types of recommenders are:
- Academic recommender;
- Extracurricular activities recommender;
- Personal recommender or recommender of your choice (this may be a second academic or extracurricular recommender, or a personal recommender);
- It is important that applicants select recommenders carefully. We rely on their input to enhance our understanding of each candidate.
- Applicants must communicate clearly with these individuals about the importance of their recommendations, and allow them sufficient time to complete their recommendations thoroughly.
- On the Recommender Provider page within the online system please use the text box to include a personal note to tell the recommender which recommender type they represent for this application and what the Selection Committee wants to learn about you from of each recommender.
- Academic recommenders will be asked to address the applicant's intellectual strength and academic preparation.
- Extracurricular activities recommenders will be asked to discuss activities and involvement, particularly if leadership and/or volunteer service are involved.
- Personal recommenders will be asked to comment in detail on the applicant's character and ethical orientation.
"Priority" Applicants' Requirements
- Complete and submit an application via the online system by November 6, 2012.
- Provide high school counselor's information in the Recommendation Provider list. Their recommendation must be submitted via the online system by November 6, 2012.
- Semifinalists will be notified by November 13, 2012. If named a Semifinalist, applicants will need to identify three additional recommenders and have them complete and submit their recommendations via the online system by December 3, 2012. Applicants will select one recommender for each of the three recommender types: Academic, Extracurricular, and Personal. See above for more details concerning recommender types.
"Regular" Applicants' Requirements
- Complete and submit an application via the online system by January 6, 2013.
- While working on the application, provide four recommenders in the online system. Their recommendations must be submitted via the online system by January 6, 2013.
- Applicants will select one recommender for each of the four recommender types: Counselor, Academic, Extracurricular, and Personal.
- If selected as a finalist, applicants will be notified by January 22, 2013.
- Finalists’ Weekend at UT Dallas is February 22-24, 2013.
- Attendance is required if applicants wish to be considered for the McDermott Scholars Program.
- RSVP to Finalists' Weekend by January 24, 2013.