Chamber Singers To Wish All a 'Feliz Navidad'
Nov. 25, 2007
The university’s Holiday Sing tradition makes its festive return Saturday night when the UT Dallas Chamber Singers and the Symphonic Brass Quintet present “Feliz Navidad: Christmas in the Spanish World.”
Kathryn Evans, associate dean for the arts, directs the 31st anniversary Holiday Sing performance at 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 1, in the University Theatre.
The event will feature guitarist Edward Healy and include a visit by Santa Claus and a reception with mulled cider and other holiday treats. The audience will be invited to sing along with traditional carols.
Choral solos will include:
- Three Renaissance villancicos from Canciones Uppsala, 1556: Dadme Albricias Hijos D'Eva, E la Don Don and Riu, riu chiu.
- Magnum Mysterium by Tomas Luis de Victoria.
- A la Nanita Nana; El Noi de la Mare; and Campana Sobre Campana from “Christmas in the Southwest” by Conrad Susa.
- Three Spanish carols arranged by Robert Shaw and Alice Parker: The Carol of the Bird, La Viene la Vieja and Fum, fum, fum.
- Feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano.
Children’s songs such as Jingle Bells are also on the bill, in addition to such traditional favorites as Away in a Manger, Deck the Halls, Joy to the World, Silent Night and the Hallelujah Chorus.
The Holiday Sing began at UT Dallas in 1976 with a simple invitation to the university’s neighbors to visit the campus for a special event. Since then, the concert has been a tradition for residents of the Dallas, Richardson and Plano areas. Due to the popularity of this free event, it is recommended that audience members arrive early. The Symphonic Brass Quintet will present pre-show holiday favorites.
For information about this program or other musical, arts, theater and dance performances and exhibitions held throughout the year at UT Dallas, call 972-UTD-ARTS (972-883-2787) or e-mail [email protected]. People with disabilities in need of special accommodations may call 972-883-2982, Texas Relay Operator: 1-800-RELAYVV.