Comet Connection Widens Its Orbit of Influence
Transfer Program Links UT Dallas With Students at 42 Community Colleges
Comet Connection, an innovative program designed to help students transfer to UT Dallas, has added 13 Texas community colleges to its burgeoning portfolio.
The latest additions bring the total number of participants across the state to 42, giving the University agreements with nearly all of the state’s 50 community colleges.
Created to help students and their families budget for college, Comet Connection guarantees four years of fixed tuition and fees and other enrollment benefits at UT Dallas. Participating students can realize thousands of dollars in savings over their college careers.
The new Comet Connection partners and their locations are:
- Alamo Community College District, San Antonio.
- Alvin Community College, Alvin.
- Angelina College, Lufkin.
- Blinn College, Brenham.
- Brazosport College, Lake Jackson.
- Clarendon College, Clarendon.
- Coastal Bend College, Beeville.
- Del Mar College, Corpus Christi.
- Frank Phillips College, Borger
- Houston Community College System, Houston
- Panola College, Carthage
- Southwest Texas Junior College, Uvalde
- The Victoria College, Victoria.
UT Dallas is among only a handful of universities to offer all new students guaranteed tuition. Through Comet Connection, students who enroll at participating two-year schools in the 2007-08 academic year can lock in the same fall 2007 rate that the University will offer its incoming freshmen.
For example, a student who locks in the fall 2007 rate is eligible to pay no more than that amount through 2011.
The guarantee also applies to graduate students, including those who complete undergraduate work at UT Dallas and continue in a graduate program. A community college student who locks in the 2007 tuition rate can begin at UT Dallas in fall 2008, graduate in spring 2010 and use the remaining time in the four-year guarantee to enter graduate school at UT Dallas under the same 2007 graduate tuition rates.
Additionally, under the Guaranteed Tuition Plan, in-state students are not charged for credit hours in excess of 15 per semester. For example, those taking 18 hours of classes pay the same cost as 15 hours.
To capture the most tuition savings, students are encouraged to sign the Comet Connection agreement as early as their first semesters at community college.
Other benefits available to Comet Connection participants beyond fixed tuition and fees include:
- Comet Connection student ID card.
- Comet Connection student rate to athletic, cultural and social events on the UT Dallas campus.
- Access to Pre-Health and Pre-Law Resource Center and sponsored activities.
- Access to UT Dallas libraries through the TexShare program, and use of the public terminal in the McDermott Library.
- One-on-one access to UT Dallas academic advisers.
- Access to Enrollment Services events.
Plans to add more institutions are under way.
Current Comet Connection partners are: Austin Community College, Central Texas College, Cisco Junior College, College of the Mainland, Collin County Community College District, Dallas County Community College District, Galveston College, Grayson County College, Hill College, Howard College, Kilgore College, Lee College, McLennan Community College, Midland College, Navarro College, North Central Texas College, North Harris Montgomery Community College District, Northeast Texas Community College, Paris Junior College, San Jacinto College District, South Plains College, Tarrant County College District, Temple College, Texarkana College, Trinity Valley Community College, Tyler Junior College, Vernon College, Weatherford College and Western Texas College.