Awards Honor Students for Leadership, Involvement
April 24, 2008
Some of UT Dallas’ most outstanding student leaders were honored Tuesday evening when the Student Organization Forum gave out awards to four individuals, two organizations and one faculty adviser for their devotion, service and contributions on behalf of the University.
Student Leadership Award recipients for the 2007-2008 academic year include:
- Laura Shagman — a freshman majoring in electrical engineering from Austin — Community Service Award, given to a student who shows exceptional dedication in giving back to the community
- Diana Kao — a sophomore majoring in literary studies from Plano — Service to Student Life Award, given to the student who goes above and beyond the call of duty to improve the quality of student life at UT Dallas
- Patrick Hampton — a senior majoring in computer science from Dallas — Student Organization Leader of the Year Award, which recognizes the outstanding leadership abilities and contributions of a student leader to their particular organization
- Alpha Phi Omega — Student Organization of the Year Award, given to the organization whose members show outstanding achievement and campus involvement, community service and contributions to the University
- Ben Dower — a senior majoring in economics from Austin — Student Leader of the Year Award, given to the individual who epitomizes student leadership at UT Dallas
- Radio UTD — Golden Comet Award, given to the most outstanding sponsored student organization on campus
- John Sibert — associate professor of chemistry — Adviser of the Year Award, given to the adviser who demonstrates outstanding dedication and service to students
Nominations for Student Leadership Awards came from faculty and staff, and a selection committee reviewed candidates and recommended recipients.
The Student Organization Forum is the official representative body of registered student organizations on campus. The forum oversees the allocation of funds to student organizations, encourages and promotes participation in University activities, provides leadership development and promotes growth opportunities to student organization members.
Media contact: Jenni Huffenberger, UT Dallas, email@example.com, 972-883-4431
or the Office of Media Relations, UT Dallas, (972) 883-2155, firstname.lastname@example.org