Paths to Progress: Work Reroutes Cars, Pedestrians
Jan. 9, 2009
Students, faculty and staff returning to the University on Monday will find changes affecting how they will move around campus, including roads and walkways that are no longer passable.
Pardon Our Progress
More Information•Work Over the Winter Break
•Campus Disruption Log
Due to intermittent traffic delays, it is recommended that students and staffers:
- Allow extra time for on-campus travel and parking.
- Be mindful of new signage and traffic direction devices.
- Use the free public transportation available to the UT Dallas community, the Comet Cruiser.
- Monitor the Pardon our Progress Web site and watch the University’s daily News Center ping for updates about road closures, pedestrian advisories and planned power shut-offs.
During the winter break, crews began construction on new facilities, as well as the renovation of existing buildings.
Of particular importance, the mall area between the Student Union, the bookstore and the McDermott Library is now inaccessible. Pedestrians should not exit those buildings via doors leading to the mall area, or walk through construction sites.
The visitor information booth on University Parkway has been moved to the intersection of University Parkway and Armstrong Drive. Direct guests to pick up a pass there, and to park in lots A-D. It is recommended that visitors be met at a landmark near the lots, such as one of the bridges, and escorted to their destination.
Beginning Jan. 12, the following walking routes and parking lots should be used:
Parking in Lots A-D is strongly encouraged. Other lots are likely to be more congested than usual and access will be limited. Lot J will serve as a throughway and a parking area. Recommended routes to parts of campus most affected by the current street closings follow.
School of Management (SOM): Enter University Parkway from Campbell Road and bear right at Armstrong Parkway for Lots A, B, C, D, M and Q.
Engineering and Computer Science Complex (ESC): Enter at University Parkway and turn left into Lot J to reach Lots J, I, or H. Drive A can be entered from Waterview to reach these lots as well. Drive A is closed past Rutford.
Visitors to the library and the Student Union will be able to enter those buildings from the north or south entrances only. The best east/west crossing points for pedestrians commuting from Lots A-D will be near the current location of Drive A, at Library Plaza and between Lot J and the SOM.
Bookstore/Technology Store: These areas are no longer accessible from the mall. Customers should circle McDermott Library’s east side to use the building’s south entrance.
Other construction projects on the horizon include:
- Removal of nitrogen tanks west of Berkner Hall and east of the Engineering and Computer Science Complex.
- Repair of an underground steam pipe between the Ida Green Center and Cecil Green Building.
- Landscaping along the mall and University Parkway, including moving several existing trees.
- Moving and updating the Hazardous Waste facility into the Service Building area.
Questions, suggestions or concerns about the various construction projects taking place on campus should be directed to [email protected].
Working near the UT Dallas Activity Center, student patrol officer Chris Robbins helps a fellow student find an alternative route to Berkner Hall while Rutford Road is closed to through traffic.
A project to replace utility lines serving the Ida Green Center obstructs the walkway between Cecil Green Hall and Green Center.