Leadership Awards Recognize Campus Contributions
April 28, 2009
Four students and two student organizations were lauded at the recent Student Leadership Awards Banquet.
The yearly event recognizes contributions to campus life at UT Dallas.
The prestigious Student Leader of the Year award was one of the awards announced.
Honorees are selected each by the Leadership Awards Selection Committee, a group made up of UT Dallas Student Life staff members who review written nominations in each award category.
The dean of students and the Student Organization Forum hosted this year’s ceremony on April 20.
The award and winners were:
- Service to Student Life: Grace Bielawski, sophomore, political science, and vice president of Student Government.
- Community Service: Riham Jamaleddine, senior, biology.
- Student Organization Leader of the Year: Peter Wanken, junior, business administration.
- Student Leader of the Year award was presented to Ramesh Ayyr, senior, business administration. Ramesh's sister, Vidya Ayyr, Class of 2006, won the same award three years ago.
- Outstanding Student Organization of the Year: National Society of Black Engineers.
- Golden Comet Award: Residential Housing Association. The Golden Comet Award is traditionally selected by the Dean of Students and is presented to a student life group (not organization) that has shown outstanding accomplishments throughout the year.
- Adviser of the Year: Frank Anderson, senior lecturer in the School of Management, for his work with the Financial Leadership Association.
Media Contact: Office of Media Relations, UT Dallas, (972) 883-2155, [email protected]