More Than 1,700 to Earn Diplomas in Fall Graduation
MBA Grad, 4 Undergraduates Chosen to Deliver Commencement Addresses
UT Dallas will confer approximately 1,729 degrees at the University’s five fall commencement ceremonies, scheduled to begin at 4 and 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 18, and at 9 a.m., noon and 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 19, in the Activity Center.
With this latest group of graduates, the University will have conferred 70,666 degrees in its 40 year history as a public institution and member of The University of Texas System.
“In recent years, our enrollment has increased,” said Curt Eley, vice president for Enrollment Management. “A happy result of this is the increase of people – both graduates and well-wishers – at our graduation ceremonies.”
Graduates and their families are cautioned to be aware of ongoing construction on campus, particularly with new traffic patterns and road closures. Ample parking will be available in Lot J and overflow parking will be available in Lots M, Q, D and F, as well as Lots H and I on the western side of campus. University Police also will be on hand to assist families with directions.
In keeping with University tradition, five students have been chosen as commencement speakers. Speakers, their degrees and schools are:
- Joseph Florer – with a Bachelor of Arts in Art and Performance, School of Arts and Humanities.
- Maria Islam – receiving a Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry, School of Natural Sciences & Mathematics.
- Arie Litovsky – receiving a Bachelor of Science in computer science, Erik Jonsson School of Engineering and Computer Science.
- Ernest Lowery – with a Master of Business Administration, School of Management.
- Scott Rodgers – receiving a Bachelor of Science in business administration, School of Management.
UT Dallas President David E. Daniel also will address graduates, their families, friends and supporters.
Among those expected to receive degrees are 824 graduate students and PhD candidates and 905 undergraduates.
The School of Management will confer the largest number of degrees, totaling 710. Next is the Erik Jonsson School of Engineering and Computer Science with 308; School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences with 179; the School of Arts and Humanities with 145; the School of Economic, Political and Policy Sciences with 133; the School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics with 128; and the School of Interdisciplinary Studies with 126.
UT Dallas holds two commencement ceremonies per year, in the fall and spring.