Comet Community Set to Celebrate the Class of 2011
Senior Week Events Slated for May 9-14 Include Rings, Rides and Remembrance
May 6, 2011
A full-scale carnival, a special-edition newspaper, a ring ceremony and hot air balloon rides highlight plans for the University’s annual Senior Week festivities, set for May 9-14 on campus.
Senior Send Off is the highlight of Senior Week, with a carnival, rides, food and amusements.
The week is part of the Senior Year Experience program, which provides resources and support to help students in their final year at UT Dallas reflect on their undergraduate experience and prepare for life after college.
The Senior Year Experience is one of several initiatives offered through the Office of Student Transition Programs, according to Yolande Evans, assistant director of the office. She said that although their time as undergraduates is ending, students’ connection to campus carries on.
The Senior Send-Off events are open to all.
“Senior Week has become a fun-filled tradition at UT Dallas, and the event is growing,” Evans said. “Around 800 faculty, staff, students and their families attended our first Senior Send Off event in 2009, and last year about 2,500 people came out. To me, that says that in addition to a valuable education, our students have gained friends – and memories – that will last a lifetime.”
Evans said her office has created opportunities and events to respond to students’ needs whatever stage they are in — whether it be a first-year freshman, a sophomore settling into the college routine, a transfer who is new to campus, a junior, or a soon-to-be graduate.
A 7-Eleven Slurpee truck will be serving at Senior Send Off.
“We help them get connected with their peers and introduce them to the resources that will help make their transition from one year to the next seamless,” Evans said.
In addition to the Office of Student Transition Programs, the sponsors of Senior Week include the Office of Development and Alumni Relations and the Office of Student Development.
Senior Week Events
- Special graduation edition of The Mercury.
- Seniors are encouraged to wear a UT Dallas T-shirt and have their photo taken with UT Dallas mascot Temoc, noon-2 p.m., mall area.
- Senior Send Off, a carnival complete with rides, food, amusements and prizes just for seniors, is open to the entire campus community, 7-11 p.m., intramural fields.
- Hot Air Balloon Rides, 5 p.m., soccer fields.
- Ring Ceremony. For students who have selected a class ring, a special presentation will be made on behalf of the Office of Development and Alumni Relations, 6-7 p.m., Student Union Galaxy Rooms.
- Honors Convocation, 10 a.m., Activity Center.
- Commencement, 1 p.m. and 4 p.m., Activity Center.
- Memories on the Mall, photo opportunities, immediately following each commencement.
So Long Saturday
- Commencement, 9 a.m., noon and 3 p.m.
- Memories on the Mall, immediately following each commencement.