Safety equipment1. Personal – You can purchase "Z87 rated" safety glasses and safety goggles from the Chemistry Student Association. Lab coats also are available for purchase from several local suppliers (see your instructor for more information). Lab aprons can be bought at the Bookstore.
- "Z87 rated" safety glasses or safety goggles must be worn at ALL TIMES in the lab. Contact lenses must NOT be worn in the lab.
- Instructors can require the use of lab coats, lab aprons, special gloves, and/or face shields when exposure to dangerous chemicals is high (e.g., when using concentrated acids, or cleaning reaction vessels).
2. Laboratory – Each lab is equipped with:
- Emergency shower
- Eye wash
- Fire blanket
- Fire extinguisher
- First aid kit
- Spill kit
At the beginning of a lab course, the supervisor will discuss or demonstrate the proper use of these items. He or she also will disseminate additional information pertinent to lab safety. Access to safety equipment should never be blocked by any obstacle.
3. Emergency procedures in the event of personal injury
- Do not move the patient unless absolutely necessary
- Initiate first aid and treatment if necessary
- Call Health Service at extension 2747 and relay the following:
A. Describe the condition of patient – Is this person conscious? Breathing? Bleeding? This is important in determining what equipment Health Service Personnel will need to bring. If the patient is not breathing or has chemical burns, call the police at 911. All chemical burns should be flushed with water immediately.
B. Give description of the accident
C. Give the location of the accident
D. Give the name of the patient (if possible), and determine if patient is student, employee or both
E. Be prepared to receive instructions given over the phone.
Health service coverage
Location: 1.606, first floor of Student Union
Clinic hours: Monday-Thursday; 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m., Friday; 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
If assistance is not readily available from the Student Health Service, contact:
- Campus police department, 24-hour emergency 911
- Identify the location by building and room number
Key phone numbers
- ALL EMERGENCIES – 911
- UTD Safety Office – ext. 2113
Emergency facilitiesBaylor Richardson Medical Center
401 W. Campbell
Medical Center of Plano
3900 West 15th Street
Plano, TX 75075
- Updated: March 13, 2007