Realizing the Potential
Mission and Vision
The mission of the Science/Mathematics Education Department is to have a positive and lasting impact on the quality of science and mathematics education and assist educators of science, mathematics in meeting the challenges of today’s dynamic educational landscape in north Texas and beyond. Our mission is accomplished through high-quality content-rich professional development for teachers and educational administrators, innovative research and leadership in teaching and learning, educational outreach, and partnerships within UT Dallas and the broader educational community.
The long term vision of Science/Mathematics Education Department is to be and to produce leaders in science and mathematics education at institutional, local, state, national and international levels by highlighting national science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education reform initiatives in order to support the development of best practices and provide opportunities for participation in cutting-edge research to current and future STEM education professionals.
- Facilitate the development of preK-12 classroom teachers into skilled educators with a depth of content knowledge and pedagogical content knowledge in the sciences and/or mathematics through best practices in science and mathematics education reflective of cutting-edge research and national STEM education reform initiatives.
- Develop the independent research and critical thinking abilities of our students along with a familiarity with research-based developments in STEM teaching and learning and education reform efforts.
- Increase the visibility of UT Dallas in the local community, the state, and the nation through increasingly competitive and high quality Science Education and Mathematics Education Programs that produce leaders in science and/or mathematics education. Establishment of doctoral programs in Science and Mathematics Education is a critical aspect of this goal.
- Leverage the diversity of our faculty through the integration of our ongoing science/mathematics discipline research with our innovative research and leadership in STEM teaching and learning.
- Utilize the diverse expertise of our faculty both within the department and in collaborative efforts with other departments and schools to strengthen the STEM pipeline at all levels.
- Broaden our impact on STEM education at local, regional, and national levels through education outreach: both directly through our own educational outreach aimed at preK-14 students, pre-college teachers and partnerships with informal education institutions and indirectly through the support of the UT Dallas community’s educational outreach efforts.
- Updated: March 15, 2012