Frequently Asked Questions


What kinds of study abroad programs are available?

Short-term sessions, summer sessions, semester-long, and year-long opportunities are available.

When do most students study abroad?

First of all, students need to have completed their first year and have at least 30 credits to be eligible to attend any of the programs.

For semester programs, many of the students are juniors, but sophomores and seniors also participate in the programs. For summer programs, the summer before or after the junior year seems to work well.

Back to top


Is there a grade-point average requirement to study abroad?

A minimum GPA of 3.0 is recommended. Some program requirements may vary.

Can graduate students study abroad?

Yes! Please note, though, that it can be a bit more complicated to fit study abroad into a graduate degree. Speaking with your major professor or mentor can be a good starting point.

Can international students study abroad?

Yes! Study abroad is for EVERY UT Dallas student. Study in your home country is not considered study abroad.

If I am a non-traditional age student, have children, or have a disability, can I still study abroad?

Yes! Please do not hesitate to let us know about your special circumstances. We are committed to making an international experience available to all students, and we'll be happy to advise individually to identify the best program for a particular student (for instance, a site with child care available, or with wheelchair-accessible facilities.)

Back to top

Application Process

Is there an application?

Yes. All students traveling to international locations on a university sponsored trips (i.e. study abroad, conference, research or other type of event) are required to submit appropriate travel documents, including an Education Abroad Student Application.

What are the application deadlines?

Click Here to get the application deadline.

Is there an application fee?

Yes, there is a $75 application fee and a $250 participation fee. There may also be various program fees, depending on the program you choose.

Back to top


Do I need insurance?

UT Dallas will provide all students with international insurance, once they are registered with International SOS.  This registration is a requirement for study abroad.  Insurance is provided by UT System Academic Health Plan (AHP).

Do I need immunizations?

Under the International Health Regulations adopted by the World Health Organization, a country may require International Certificates of Vaccination against yellow fever, especially if your are traveling from an area of the world that is infected with yellow fever. Prophylactic medication for malaria and certain other preventive measures are advisable for travel to some countries. No immunizations are required to return to the United States. Detailed health information may be obtained from your local healthcare provider or by contacting the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

Are there any foreign language requirements?

Many programs will require language proficiency and may require a placement exam. In many cases at least two years of college level foreign language proficiency may be required. However, there are many English program options in a variety of countries.

How do I obtain a passport?

Find out how to obtain or renew a passport at

In some countries you are required to have your passport with you at all the times as official identification. U.S. officials tend to recommend that your passport be kept in a safe place. A compromise is to carry with you a photocopy of the passport information page.

If you have a passport, make sure it does not expire while you are abroad.

Remember if you plan to travel from one country to another country, you must have a passport with you. And, of course, remember not to pack your passport in your luggage.

Do I need a student visa?

If a visa is required, obtain it from the appropriate foreign consular representative before proceeding abroad. Allow sufficient time for processing your visa application, especially if you are applying by mail. Most foreign consular representatives are located in principal cities, and in many instances, a traveler may be required to obtain visas from the consular office in the area of his/her residence. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE TRAVELER TO OBTAIN VISAS, WHERE REQUIRED, FROM THE APPROPIATE EMBASSY OR NEAREST CONSULATE OF THE COUNTRY YOU ARE PLANNING TO VISIT. As soon as you receive your visa, check it to make sure no mistakes were made. Processing and visa fees vary, and most fees may not be refundable. For specific details, consult the Embassy or Consulate of the country you plan to visit.

How can I get a Student Identity Card?

You can apply for and receive the International Student Identity Card (ISIC), which provides discounts for flights, accommodations, transportation, museums, etc. In addition the ISIC provides Travel Guard Assistance, accidental medical insurance, etc. For further information please contact or STA Travel for more information.

Back to top

Transferring Credit

Will my classes transfer to UT Dallas?

You must complete a Pre-Approval of Transfer Credit Form prior to departure. This will ensure proper credit and transferability. Students who do not complete this form are at risk of not receiving transfer credit upon completion. You should always check with your academic advisor regarding your plans.

Do I need to submit a transcript?

After you've completed your study abroad, you must submit an official transcript in English from your study abroad school. If the transcript is issued in a foreign language, you will need to have it translated and submit both the original and official English version for evaluation of transfer credit to the Office of the Registrar at UT Dallas.

Back to top


Can I afford to study abroad?

Study abroad can be done cost effective! In addition, financial aid and scholarships are available.

Reciprocal exchanges can be an inexpensive way to study abroad. Outgoing students pay tuition and fees at UT Dallas just as if they would be on the UT Dallas campus; all other costs (housing, meals) are paid by the student, as if you were at home (and in some countries less expensive). The additional costs are airfare and travel money.

Is financial aid applicable to study abroad?

Yes! You can work with the Office of Financial Aid to have your need level re-assessed and your federal and state financial possibilities explored. 

Are there scholarships and financial aid available?

Scholarships have been established to support opportunities for UT Dallas students to participate in study abroad programs. A variety of third party or independent scholarships are also available.

What is the International Education Fund Scholarship (IEFS)?

Each semester, every UT Dallas student pays an International Education Fee. This fee appears on the UT Dallas billing statement. This money may only be used for student scholarships. Learn more at UT Dallas International Education Fund Scholarship website.


How many suitcases can I bring?

You will need to check with your airline to be sure how many suitcases you may check, as well as the dimensions and weight limit.

You will find that you do not need nearly as much as you think you do. Remember, porters are seldom available to help with your luggage, so plan to carry your own luggage at all times.

How do I vote in an election while studying abroad?

Visit the Texas Secretary of State Website for information on the absentee registration and voting process.

Back to top