The Field Operations Division functions as the tactical operations division for the department. The commissioned police officers are the most publicly visible representatives of the department and are dispatched by police communications operators by radio.
As the primary responsibility of this division, UT Dallas officers are on constant patrol of the campus to prevent crime, to preserve the peace, and to protect life and property by enforcing the Texas state laws, and The University of Texas Regents Rules and Regulations.
UT Dallas police officers patrol the campus by car and foot. Uniformed police officers provide safety to students living in campus housing by monitoring resident's late-entry access, checking exterior doors and patrolling halls.
Complete requirements are available from UT System. The following is a summary:Education Requirements
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum 60 college hours from an accredited college or university. The following will substitute no more than 30 hours:
- One year of continuous employment as a police guard, dispatcher, telecommunications operator, or parking controller with a UT System component institution
- Two years active military service
- Two years experience as a law enforcement officer, correctional officer, or jailer
According to TCLEOSE these are the following Accreditation Associations accepted for college credit hours [§211.1(a)(3)]:
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS-CC)
- Middle States Association of Schools and Colleges (MSA)
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA)
- Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges (NASC)
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc. (NEASC-CIHE)
- Age 21 - 44 on commission date
- Vision correctable to 20/30; uncorrected cannot be greater than 20/200
- Able to hear conversation from at least 15 feet
- Able to pass the physical agility test
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- No felony convictions
- No DWI or DUI convictions within the past 10 years
- No Class B misdemeanor convictions within the past 10 years
- Not currently on probation for any criminal offense above a Class C misdemeanor
- No convictions, court-ordered community supervision, or probation for any Class B or above criminal offense
- Acceptable driving record and eligible to operate a university-owned vehicle in accordance with UTS 157.
- Application for employment
- Written examination and physical fitness test
- Personal history statement, pre-employment polygraph questionnaire, and conditional offer of employment
- Oral interview board
- Background investigation
- Polygraph examination
- Medical, extended physical, and vision examinations
- Psychological exam
- Drug screening
The application process takes approximately 4-6 months.
The University of Texas at Dallas is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, citizenship status, Vietnam era or special disabled veteran's status, or sexual orientation.