Enrichment Programs - Summer Programs, Study Abroad, etc.
The Dallas area offers rich opportunities to learn about healthcare hands on: 13 major hospitals, hundreds of smaller practices, dozens of research venues, and a vibrant community of public health and community outreach programs.
Working and observing in health settings is a critical aspect of pre-health education.
- UT Dallas Service Learning can help you to find volunteer opportunities.
- The UT Dallas Career Center can help you identify your strengths and interests, explore career options, and develop your resume and interview skills.
- Student Organizations are great places to meet other students who’ve found healthcare experiences in the Dallas area.
The Find Pre-Health Enrichment Programs database includes descriptions of over 500 undergraduate programs. APPLY EARLY!!
Of special note to UT Dallas students:
- Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP)
- Six-week Summer Academic Program Free program for talented pre-med and pre-dent students completing their freshman or sophomore years of college. Offered at 12 sites around the nation. Apply ASAP!
- Retina Foundation of the Southwest
- Baylor College of Dentistry
- Summer Pre-Dental Enrichment Program (SDEP) - Available to select students who will have over 60 college hours by the end of the spring semester, SDEP is an excellent 8-week program of science courses and professional training. Feb 1
- UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program (SURF) - Enhanced research training of natural science undergraduates who are interested in obtaining the PhD or MD/PhD degrees. 10-week program, $4000 stipend. Feb 8
- The University Of Texas Southwestern
- Quantitative and Physical Sciences - Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (QP-SURF) - Enhanced research training of physics, mathematics, chemistry, and computer science undergraduates who have completed the sophomore year. 10-week program, $4750 stipend. Feb 8
- Undergraduate Medical Research Fellows Program (UT-SUMR) - Enhanced training of Texas undergraduate researchers who do not plan to pursue a PhD degree. 9-week program, $3000 stipend. Feb 4
- Green Fellowships - This program offers biochemistry majors from UT Dallas an intensive research training experience at the prestigious UT Southwestern Medical Center. The program replaces a spring semester at UT Dallas. Oct 15
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
- Summer Surgery Experience - An intensive 10-day program of lectures, shadowing, and observation. Students choose to focus on cardiac surgery or neuroscience. Mar 15
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- SPAEP Level I - A competitive, 7-week opportunity for small group medical prep classes, focused on Freshmen and Sophomores. Free tuition plus stipend! Mar 1
- SPAEP Level II - A highly competitive, 9-week opprtunity for research, MCAT prep, and application workshops, focused on MD/PhD applicants. Free tuition plus stipend! Mar 1
Travel and Service
Health related community service initiatives, church missions, and foreign service ventures fall into this category.