Health Professions Advising Center

Directed Pre-Health Post-Bacc Studies

Certificate in Biomedical Studies (CBioMed)

The Certificate in Biomedical Studies (CBioMed) program accepts approximately 30 students per academic year. The program is designed to provide intensive preparation for students intending to apply for admission to dental, medical or podiatry schools. Students are accepted for Summer/Fall terms. The deadline for the 2014 Summer/Fall term has passed. For more information on the CBioMed program refer to the Information and Guidelines booklet.

Please direct any questions regarding the CBioMed program to Shirley Yang.

Second Degree in Biological Sciences

Students requiring significant coursework in the sciences, particularly in biological sciences, may want to explore applying for second degree status. More information about bachelor’s degrees in biology can found at

Second Degree in Healthcare Studies

The Healthcare Studies major offers students opportunities to gain the knowledge to prepare for a variety of healthcare related careers, including entry to specific healthcare professions. Those with a bachelor’s degree who pursue this option apply for admissions to the UT Dallas. Students are advised for classes and their degree plan through the UTD School of Interdisciplinary Studies. Students consult an advisor in the Health Professions Advising Center (HPAC) for information related to entry to a health professions school. Second degree Healthcare Studies majors may be eligible to participate in the Health Professions to participate in the Health Professions Evaluation (HPE) process. For more information on the Healthcare Studies major, see


This option could serve those who have an undergraduate degree and desire only a few classes to complete requisites prior to applying for entry to a health professions program. Non-degree prospective students should apply for admission to UT Dallas. Accepted students register for a class(es) with advisors in the UT Dallas school housing that class(es). For example, if a student would like to register for Genetics, he or she would see an advisor in the School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics.

Non-degree students seeking to take undergraduate classes to meet requisites for health professions schools should register as Non-Degree Undergraduate. Not all classes may be available, and non-degree students register after degree seeking students.

Non-degree students are welcome to consult an advisor in the Health Professions Advising Center (HPAC) to talk about their plans to apply to health professions schools. Non-degree students are neither eligible to participate in the Health Professions Evaluation (HPE) process nor use the Clearinghouse letter service.