Vision and Goals
At The University of Texas at Dallas, our vision is to be one of the nation’s best public research universities and one of the great universities of the world. We are ideally positioned to accomplish this goal as a global leader in innovative, high-quality science, business, and engineering education and research.
As president of this university, every decision I make is intended to further this vision and to support UT Dallas’ mission to produce graduates prepared for life, work and leadership; to advance our educational and research programs; and to transform ideas into actions that benefit the citizens of Texas.
UT Dallas’ exponential growth has put us on a trajectory to achieve several key goals that will also help us to fulfill our greater vision.
We aspire to be:
- A first-rank public research university with focused centers of excellence that is prepared to meet the challenges of a rapidly changing, technology-driven global society
- A global force in innovative, transdisciplinary research and education in emerging areas of technology, science and learning
- A groundbreaking leader both in framing and answering the questions faced by business, policy makers and the public
- A synergistic partner with local industry, government and cultural organizations as well as local K-12 schools, colleges and universities
- One of the most creative, innovative universities in the nation and world
I am confident that UT Dallas can achieve these goals because we are a young, agile university located in one of the nation’s largest, most vibrant metropolitan areas. Our exceptionally talented students and faculty have the benefit of many innovative programs, and they are surrounded by high-tech and other businesses that have a track record of collaboration with the university. We are also backed by the strength and reputation of The University of Texas System, and we enjoy collaboration opportunities with our nearby sister organizations, UT Southwestern Medical Center and UT Arlington.
This combination of focus, youth, quality, location and collaboration makes UT Dallas an ideal candidate to evolve from a small, young, very good university into a nationally pre-eminent, top-tier research university—an asset that the Dallas area urgently needs.
As we grow toward these goals, I will encourage individuals to break free of constricted modes of thinking so we can respond to new opportunities and challenges without limitations. And I am constantly exploring new ways to reach out to our community and further these goals, which will enrich life for us all.
Updated: November 22, 2011