Travel Management | Procurement Management | The University of Texas at Dallas
to Top

Travel Management

Welcome to the Travel Management Services for the University of Texas at Dallas. Though we do not make direct travel arrangements for the university community, we do offer information and customer service to assist in travel planning, travel-related paperwork, and travel-related payment/reimbursement requests. We oversee the travel contracts (airfare, car rental and hotel) and process all payments and reimbursements related to travel for UT Dallas.

For quick access to all travel-related forms, visit the Procurement Management Forms page.

The UT Dallas Travel Policy can be viewed in its entirety here.

askYODA is a resource for specific questions and concerns, or contact travel management at for assistance.

Planning Your Trip

Travel Authorization

In order to be reimbursed for university-related business travel, you must complete certain authorization procedures. The Travel Authorization is used for all travel for all employees, prospective employees, and student travel. The Travel Authorization form should be completed before purchasing a trip for employees, prospective employees, or students using a centrally billed airfare or requesting reimbursement for travel on university business.

Authorization for Professional Services (AFPS)

The AFPS (Authorization for Professional Services) is used forall non-employees traveling for the university to perform compensated services as an independent contractor. Departments must complete an AFPS form for all non-employee independent contractors traveling for the university for the purpose of providing compensated services. If only travel expenses are paid to an independent contractor, the attached form may be used. The university prefers the independent contractor to purchase travel services out-of-pocket and seek a Reimbursement Request upon completion of travel.

Travel Advance

Most University travelers will use personal credit cards and will file for a reimbursement after completion of travel. Alternatively, with proper approval, an employee may use the university One Card to pay for university related travel expenses. A traveler may request a travel advance if they rarely travel. The University will provide a travel advance card with a specific balance and time frame for use. In order to request a travel advance, please complete the Travel Funds Advance Request and Travel Authorization forms. Submit your approved request to no later than 10 days before travel.

Booking Airfare

The state of Texas and UT System have contracts with certain agencies to give travelers reduced fares, discounts and additional services. The following information outlines the use of state and UT System contracted airfare.

For the reservation, direct billing is not available for most of the above methods. You will be required to hold the reservation on a personal credit card and request reimbursement upon completion of travel. If you have the OneCard with travel approval, you can use it to make the reservation and pay for all related university travel expenses for approved trips.

Reservations made with Hertz, Budget, or reservations made directly with the car rental agency will require a university One Card or personal credit card and reimbursement request upon completion of travel.

All faculty, staff and students are required to use the University Travel agencies when traveling on University funds. All airfare purchases must be economy/coach class. There are few exceptions and ALL exceptions to the travel policies must be pre-approved by the Assistant Vice President of Procurement Management prior to booking travel. The approval must be included with the travel voucher for reimbursement.

Travelers can book airfare via:

  1. Concur Online Booking (Sign up here to register if a first-time user)
  2. University-contracted  travel agencies

Hotel Reservations

Travelers can make hotel reservations via:

  • Concur Online Booking  (click here to register if a first-time user)
  • University-contracted  travel agencies
  • Calling direct your hotel of choice. Visit the State Travel Management Program – Hotel Contracts website for hotel information and directory.
  • Direct Bill Hotel (local area only). UT Dallas has established direct billing capability with some local Dallas-area hotels. The Hotel Reference Sheet provides further information on special UT Dallas, State, and Government rates available for these hotels. If you have any further questions, contact

For the reservation, direct billing is not available for most of the above methods. You will be required to hold the reservation on a personal credit card and request reimbursement upon completion of travel. If you have the OneCard with travel approval, you can use it to make the reservation.

Hotel and Conference Hotels expenses are allowable up to 150% of the per diem. Prior approval by Pete Bond is required for additional allowance.

Hotel Sales Tax Exemption      

You can get a tax exemption from most hotels in Texas when you travel on university business. To receive the exemption, present the Tax Exemption Certificate to your hotel when paying. If a hotel refuses to accept the tax exemption form, make a note of this on the Travel Voucher, and the tax will be reimbursable.

Rental Cars

Travelers can book a rental car via:

  1. Concur Online Booking Tool (click here to register if a first-time user)
  2. University-contracted travel agencies
  3. Calling the rental car company directly

Travelers can book car rentals through five contracted agencies: Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz or National. Only car rentals booked through Avis, Enterprise or National can be direct billed back to the traveler’s department through Concur or the full service agencies. UT System contracted rates for rental cars include collision and liability coverage. Reservations made with Hertz, Budget, or reservations made directly with the car rental agency will require a university One Card or personal credit card and reimbursement request upon completion of travel.

University Contracted Full Service Agencies

Effective May 1, 2013, both travel agencies below are allowed to purchase tickets at the State of Texas or UT System contract rates (where applicable) on your behalf.

Full Service Agency

After Hours Contact

Corporate Travel Planners (CTP):

Full-Service Booking 
(available 8:00AM – 6:30PM Monday – Friday):
1-866-366-1142 (toll-free) or 210-366-1142
1-888-605-6555 (fax)


(for use between 6:01PM and 7:59AM M-F and on weekends)

VIT Code: S2P2A

Extra charge applies and should only be used in case of emergencies.

Anthony Travel (ATI):

Full-Service Booking
(available 8:00AM – 6:00PM Monday-Friday):
1-800-684-2044 (toll-free) or 512-617-8444
1-866-921-6242 (fax) or


(for use between 6:01PM and 7:59AM Monday-Friday and on weekends)


Extra charge applies and should only be used in case of emergencies.


Concur Online Booking Travel

Effective May 1, 2013, UT Dallas travelers can book their flights, car rentals, and hotel stays via the Concur Online Booking Tool. All reservations made through Concur will be handled by Corporate Travel Planners (CTP).

Faculty, staff, and select others such as Teaching Assistant (TA) or Research Assistant (RA) are allowed Concur accounts. Students or student workers will not be allowed to have accounts. Guests of the University cannot create accounts, but approved account holders can arrange guest travel on their behalf. Group Travel of more than 9 people should not be made using Concur, and should be completed using the other contract agencies.

First-time Concur user, follow these instructions to request a Concur account:

  1. Request here. Enter your full name as it appears on your government ID, your work email (prefer, and your work phone number.
  2. Approval will grant the traveler access to Concur, and the traveler will be sent a generic password to login to (The username is the UT Dallas email address you entered from above.)
  3. Traveler will create a unique password to complete their self-registration.
  4. Traveler must complete a profile in order to book travel including TSA required information including gender and date of birth.

Online Help Desk (CTP): 1-877-727-5188

If you have any further questions regarding the training material, please contact our office at or x2300. Please note that Concur reservations are only fulfilled through CTP.

Concur Guides
·         Concur Travel QuickStart Guide
·         Booking a Flight
·         Booking a Hotel
·         Booking a Car

Group/Student/International Travel

Group Travel

When booking group flights use one of the University’s contracted travel agencies to book both airfare and hotel rooms. When booking flights for a group, remember that

  • Airlines define a “group” as 10 or more individuals traveling to the same destination.
  • Groups of 10 or more individuals traveling to the same destination are not eligible for State of Texas contract airfare.

Student Travel

Before planning student travel, please review the following:

The following forms must be completed and submitted (as appropriate):

Exhibit B14-D To authorize domestic travel for students, teams, or groups
Exhibit B14-F To authorize foreign travel for students, teams, or groups
Indemnification and Release for Adult Foreign Travelers For any student above the age of 18
Indemnification and Release for Minor Foreign Travelers For any minor student under the age of 18

Use the Team/Group Travel Disbursement Register for a sponsor to request meal allowance disbursements. Meals must not exceed federal rates for the location, and state funds cannot be used.

Foreign Travel

Faculty and staff traveling abroad on behalf of the UT Dallas are required to obtain institutional approval at least two weeks before departure. The following forms are required for foreign travel approval:

For complete information on University-related foreign travel, visit the International Center.

International SOS

International SOS provides UT System travelers with worldwide quality medical care and emergency assistance services 24 hours per day. Although this service does not take the place of your health insurance, in the case of an emergency, it does provide medical assistance, security and travel assistance, managed and administered by International SOS. All University international travelers must be registered with International SOS regardless the source of funding for the trip. This service is provided free of charge to UT Dallas international travelers. If you book international travel through a University-contracted travel agent, they will enroll you in this service automatically.

For complete information regarding this service, please log on to .

To obtain an SOS travel card or for additional information, please contact

Other Services

Concur TripCase

Effective June 18, 2013, TripCase will replace the VirtuallyThere itinerary travelers are used to receiving via email upon booking of business travel. TripCase has a different look and feel, as well as enhanced mobile capabilities. It is not mandatory for travelers to register with TripCase. It is a useful tool to help simplify frequent travel. If you choose not to register, you will still receive a copy of your itinerary via an email attachment. This does not replace any tools to book travel, such as Concur or full-service provided by the travel agents!

You may sign up for a TripCase account here using your UTD e-mail address. Once you confirm your registration via e-mail, you will be able to:

      • View your trip itinerary via the web and free mobile application
      • Receive flight alerts for gate changes, flight delays, or cancellations
      • View itinerary-based travel tools such as alternate flight options, seat maps, eTicket, and eInvoice

Download the mobile application for your device here:

*Note that the new version of TripCase supports Blackberry OS 6.0 and higher – older Blackberry models should point their mobile browser to

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the or CTP/Anthony Travel.


Several airlines have quietly decreased the acceptable size of carry-on luggage.  During peak times, they are going so far as to have their personnel stand near TSA screening lines, look for passengers with carry-ons that are too large, and send them back to the ticket counter to check the bag. Build enough time into your arrival at an airport to deal with this type situation.  In addition, on a seasonal basis, some airlines may change baggage rules and restrictions to specific destinations (e.g. Mexico, Latin America, Caribbean, etc.).  

As of August 2014:
American Airlines

Airport Parking

Order a UT corporate discount card, view discounted corporate rates, make parking reservations (including free day reservations), and get directions by viewing parkingspot UT System. If you already have a UT Spot Club Exec card, you should email the card number to Arely Colmenero at and mention offer UTSystemFree2014 to receive the free parking points. If you have a regular Spot Club card (it does not say UT System on the front), a new UT System card should be requested.  Current account information and accumulated Spot Club points can be merged into the new account.

The University of Texas System Spot Club Exec program comes with a built-in 25% discount on all self- and valet parking services in Texas and nationwide discounts at all other Parking Spot locations.
Each individual must register the card and make an award reservation to use Spot Points.

The Parking Spot’s facilities are fully fenced, well-lit and operate 24/7 providing a secure area to park vehicles. Benefits include:

  • 24-Hour access to vehicles
  • No blackout dates for UT System rates and free parking points
  • Timely shuttle service every 5-7 minutes
  • Luggage assistance
  • Frequent parker program
  • Free Towing (within 25 miles)
  • Free emergency battery assistance
  • Free emergency tire change assistance
  • Free USA Today (first 200 guests daily)
  • Free bottled water (at exit)        

For questions or concerns contact Chris Maguire at:

Visit the UT Dallas Parking Spot website to register for your card and make parking reservations.

Getting Reimbursed

After the completion of travel, you must complete and submit a Travel Voucher to Travel Management Services. These instructions will guide you on how to complete the voucher. It is important to remember that in-state and out-of-state travel are governed by federal per diem rates. Foreign travel per diem rates can be found on the U.S. Department of State Website. Per Diem is the allowance for lodging and meals. These are not fixed rates, but rather the maximum amount allowed. Reimbursement is based on your actual expenditures.

Submit your receipts for your hotel expenses, public transportation fares, parking, mileage, and other incidentals. If you rented a car and did not direct bill, include your receipts for your rental. Documentation for meals does not need to be submitted with your travel voucher and are covered based on actual expenses and up to the per diem rate.

Please note: the University uses document imaging to scan and store documents for record retention. The receipts need to be taped neatly to single sheets of paper for scanning.

Travel Resources
Transportation and Security Administration Latest news about carry-on rules and airport safety
Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport Maps and information
The Weather Channel Weather forecasts and information about major travel destinations
Time and Date (World Clock) Current time and date for hundreds of locations around the world
Domestic per diem spending limits Domestic travel allowance for lodging and meals
Foreign per diem spending limits Foreign travel allowance for lodging and meals
Foreign currency converter Translate your expenses to U.S. Dollars
U.S. Department of State Passport information, including applications and processing times
Travel warnings
Information about individual countries
UT Dallas Comet Center Passport photos
International Center Protocol