Experience our brand new indoor climbing wall! With over 1,000 square feet of climbing space, climbers of all ability levels can challenge themselves at one of eight climbing stations. Our facility provides bouldering, top-rope, and lead climbing. Let the professional staff at the wall introduce you to the thrill of climbing while you improve strength, balance, and coordination.
Harnesses and chalk bags are available for use and our staff will teach you everything you need to know to get started!
Spring 2013 Climbing Wall Hours (Jan. 28 - May 10)
Mondays, Tuesdays, & Thursdays: 7:00pm - 11:00pm
Fridays: 7:00pm - 10:00pm
*The wall will be closed Jan. 14-25 & March 11-15*
* The climbing competition is Saturday, January 26. Contact Ben Piper at email@example.com for more information.
Climbing Wall Desk Procedures
All participants must check in at the climbing desk with a valid ID and fill out a waiver. Our staff will then:
- Determine the patron's climbing status;
- Inform/remind patron(s) of climbing wall rules, or inform them of new rules/concerns;
- Issue the appropriate equipment
Participant Safety Rules
General Climbing Rules
- You must be 17 years of age to climb on the climbing wall.
- The climbing wall supervisor has the authority to ask anyone to leave if behavior is deemed unsafe or in violations of the rules.
- No personal items, cell phones or electronic devices (i.e. head phones/iPod), cutting devices (knives/keys), food or drink, gum or tobacco allowed in the climbing area at any time.
- Shoes are required at all times when climbing. No bare-foot climbing allowed. Hiking boots and sandals are not allowed while climbing.
- Only UTD climbing wall staff may provide instruction at the wall.
- No personal equipment other than harness, shoes, and chalk bag are allowed while climbing. Note that loose chalk is not allowed.
- Do not step on any ropes at any time.
- Holds may spin. Check the tightness of a hold prior to weighing it. If you notice a spinning hold, alert a staff member who will fix it immediately.
- No body part of the climber shall exceed 12 feet.
- Crash pads are recommended if bouldering on the climbing wall.
- Climbers who are bouldering must give the right-of-way to roped climbers.
- You must pass the introduction to climbing skills check to top-rope belay.
- Climbers must have a belayer. Solo climbing is not permitted and all climbers must be protected by a top-rope belay unless bouldering or leading.
- Keep off the top of the wall.
- If a climber desires to use their own harness, it must be approved by the climbing wall staff.
- Harnesses must be double-backed at the waist and at the leg loop buckles (if harness has this feature) when worn.
- All top-rope climbers must clip, with carabiners opposite and opposed, into the harness belay loop.
- All belaying of top-rope climbers must be done using a UTD Gri-Gri belay device, attached to the belayer's belay loop on their harness by means of a UTD locking carabiner.
- Always double check the climber's knot, harness, and belay system before each climb. If in doubt, ask a climbing wall staff member for an inspection prior to climbing.
- Belayers must not allow excess slack in the belay rope.
- Do not touch or hang from lead climbing anchors (bolt hangers, quick draws, carabiners, etc.).
- No top-rope climbing allowed on routes to either side of a lead route when it is being climbed.