Texas Three Course Repeat Rule
An undergraduate student is limited to three grade-bearing enrollment attempts for any specific class.
A student attempting the same class for the third time will be charged a penalty fee equivalent to the out-of-state tuition for the same number of semester credit hours. This is due to State legislation eliminating funding to higher education for courses that are attempted three or more times.
Courses cross-listed under more than one course prefix are considered the same course.
Attempted hours include
- Repeated courses
- Earned hours and unearned hours (non-passing grades)
- Withdrawn courses (includes administrative/non-academic)
- Dual credit courses
- 18 hours of remedial and development courses.
- Courses where hours can be repeated for credit (special topics/seminar/independent)
- Vocational / Technical courses
Note: A student is free to drop classes without penalty through census day of a given term/session.