Minimal Review Criteria
To be eligible for the Minimal Review the following criteria has to be met:
Research does not involve minors (0-17), mentally incapacitated participants, known pregnant women, or prisoners.
Surveys which deal with sensitive and private aspects of behavior, such as sexual preference, substance abuse, or illegal conduct are not eligible for
Research involves normal educational practices, such as research on regular special education instructional strategies or research on the effective need
of instructional techniques, curriculum, or classroom management records.
Research involves anonymous educational tests, surveys, or interviews, only if the participant is not identified.
Research involves evaluating or examining a public benefit or service program, such as welfare, Medicaid, unemployment, and Social Security; no subjects
are identified, contacted, or interviewed.
Research involves analysis of data that are routinely complied by the public office that administers the program.
Research involves archival data only if the data are publicly available, subjects can not be identified, and no direct or indirect subject identifiers
can be linked to the subject.
- Research does not involve the review and use of Medical Records.
- Research involving archival data that includes even a one-way identifier, such as a code that can be used to identify a subject disqualifies the
research for minimal review.
Submission Checklist for Minimal Review
- IRB Application to Determine Eligibility for Minimal Review with all sections completed and signed by the Principal Investigator
for Principal Investigator and Research Assistants
- Appendices explaining protocol (e.g., tables, charts, diagrams)
- Recruitment materials, if any, including:
- Copies of ads, notices or flyers
- Telephone script used for recruiting
- Consent Documents, dated, and written in lay language (4th-6th grade level)
- Letters of Support from other departments, sites, and institutions
Data Collection Sheets
- Other IRB approvals when applicable
- Questionnaires and survey instruments (if applicable)