Office of Research Search

Post Award Issues

No-cost Extensions

One of the most frequently asked questions from Principal Investigators or their assistants is what do I need to do in order to extend my project without additional funds. The answer to that question depends on the source of funding. The following should assist you in answering that question.

Federal Funds - If the award is from a Federal sponsor and the terms and conditions of the award are noted as Federal Demonstration Partnership (FDP) , the University has the option of extending the project for a period up to 12 months without having to contact the sponsor for permission (only if the extension will not cause the project period to exceed 5 years). The following sponsors usually issue FDP awards: National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Health, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Department of Energy, and the Environmental Protection Agency. If you want an extension on a project which qualifies under the above conditions, contact the Office of Sponsored Projects.

If the one-year extension has already been used, subsequent extension requests must be submitted through OSP. The request should be in writing and should provide a justification for the extension. The justification should relate to the completion of the scientific objectives, not that funds are remaining. Requests for no cost extensions to NSF must be submitted through FastLane. Sponsor approved no cost extensions must be submitted prior to the expiration date of the grant. NSF requires that the request be submitted 45 days prior to expiration. Please note that these requests generally take one to two months to process and approve. Consider the processing time when deciding when to submit your request. Non-Federal Requests for extension should be submitted in writing and routed through OSP. The requests should include a programmatic justification for the extension. The University has no provision for extending these projects without sponsor approval. As with federal awards, these requests should be made prior to the expiration date and with ample lead-time. A three-month lead time is suggested in order to have an approved extension prior to the original expiration date.

Budget Changes

If you want to revise your budget and the sponsor guidelines do not allow for it, you will need to request your revisions in writing. The request must be processed through OSP.

Supplemental Funds Requests

Requests for additional funding on an existing project are processed as proposals through OSP.

You will need the following items:

  1. Proposal Certification Form
  2. Export Control Form
  3. Budget and justification
  4. Statement of work for the additional effort
  5. Updated certification for all compliance issues (if necessary)

Change of Principal Investigator

If a change of principal investigator is required on a project, a letter must be sent to the sponsor. The letter should be endorsed by the current PI, the proposed PI, and OSP. The letter should outline the qualifications of the new PI.

Leave of Absence

If you plan to be away from the University and you have a sponsored project, you will need to notify your sponsor in writing of your absence. Your letter will need to address how you plan to maintain oversight of your project during your absence. This letter needs to be signed by OSP.

I am leaving. How do I take my grant with me?

Transferring a grant to another institution is a complicated process and requires proper timing to allow for the transfer and to allow for start-up at the new institution. Some sponsors have specific forms which must be completed to obtain a transfer. Other sponsors have no formal guidelines for transfers. There are general procedures that need to be followed to prepare for a transfer. Please note the following steps in preparing for a grant transfer:

  • Select an arbitrary expiration date for your project.
  • In order to relinquish the project, the Office of Finance must be able to determine the residual funds remaining after all obligations have cleared. It takes at least 30 days after the expiration date to obtain this information.
  • If you purchased equipment and want to take this equipment with you when you move, you must obtain approval from your Chair, Dean, and the OSP. You will need to submit non-competing continuations for the next year's funds through your new institution. Grants from the National Institutes of Health require the completion of an NIH Relinquishing Interests Form.
Close-out Process
The closeout process for sponsored projects is a post-award activity and is handled jointly by Post-Award Management and Accounting and Financial Reporting. Information regarding the process can be accessed here.

Workflow Chart

If you see a post award issue not listed please see the Office of Post-Award Management.


Updated: August 19, 2014