Conference Assistant Job Description
Conference Assistants (CAs) provide service and assistance to summer guests, assist in the daily operations of the University Commons Residence Halls, and must possess exceptional customer service skills. CAs must be knowledgeable of and able to implement university policies as well as serve as a resource regarding inquiries related to the campus and local community. CAs are the face of UTD to our summer guests and must serve as a positive Comet role model. The CA position requires a genuine personal commitment, flexibility, and a good understanding of the imprecise work hour description.
The CA has a variety of job duties throughout the summer (including but not limited to):
- Administrative tasks- preparing name tags, preparing keys, preparing door tags completing paperwork, making copies, on call logs, information reports, distributing pertinent information to guests
- Facility tasks- room set up, room take down, trash disposal, suite inspections, entering work order requests, linen collection, linen sorting, and laundry cleaning and folding
- Operation tasks- weekly desks shifts (between 9AM – 6PM), check ins, check outs, weekly on call duty, some weekend on call duty, and rounds in the hall
- Customer service tasks- answering general questions, troubleshooting issues, conducting tours, following up with customers, and providing overall excellent customer service
- Safety and risk management tasks- initiating emergency protocols, reporting all issues and concerns, referrals to appropriate parties, and knowledgeable of risks to minors on campus policies
It is understood that the demands of summer conferences cannot easily be translated into hours worked per day or week because of the unique nature of the responsibilities and circumstances. This job requires the utmost flexibility in every aspect but mainly with desk shifts, on call nights, and check in/outs.
- $333 monthly stipend (half months will be prorated)
- Furnished PA room in a University Commons Residence Hall
- 30 meals in the dining hall
- $400 meal money
- Ability to take summer classes
- Must be a UT Dallas student.
- Must possess and maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA at the time of application.
- Must attend all staff meetings and training sessions, and complete required online training.
- Must work 6 hours per week at the front desk between the hours of 9am-6pm.
- Must be available for assigned weeknight and weekend desk and on call shifts.
- Must be available for assigned check in and check out times.
- Document policy violations or any concerns and report them to their supervisor immediately.
- Be knowledgeable of campus policies as well as emergency procedures.
- Provide excellent customer service in a pleasant and helpful manner.
- Assist guests with additional needs as determined by professional Residential Life staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Terms & Conditions of Employment
- Employment Period:
- May 12 - start date for any Conference Assistant who is a Peer Advisor in Spring 2018
- May 17 - start date for any Conference Assistant who is not a Peer Advisor in Spring 2018
- August 5 - end date for any Conference Assistant who will be a Peer Advisor in Fall 2018
- August 13 - end date for any Conference Assistant who will not be a Peer Advisor in Fall 2018
- CAs are not required to be enrolled during the summer session, but may not enroll in more than one class during a 5-week session or two classes during the 11-week session.
- Outside employment and internships must be approved by the supervisor and is not guaranteed. A maximum of 20 hours per week will be considered. Your academic schedule and availability will be taken into account in the consideration. You must be available for all of your CA obligations. Other on campus employment is not allowed.
- CAs must be available to work assigned nightly desk shifts and on calls beginning at 6pm. Nightly outside time commitments or classes that meet every night, Monday-Thursday, are not conducive to the CA work schedule.
- CA must spend every night in the hall unless approved by their supervisor. CAs will not be granted an extended period of vacation away from the building over the summer.
- CAs are not permitted to have non-staff visitors in their suite while minors are living in their wing of the building.
- CAs must pass a criminal background check and complete Campus Program for Minors training.
- As a representative of Residential Camp & Conference Services and UT Dallas, the CA must follow all housing and university policies.
Attend one mondatory Coference Assitant Interest Session.
- Friday, Feb. 16 at 12:00pm in RHW 2.401 (MP Room)
- Tuesday, Feb. 20 at 4:00pm in SU 2.508
- Thursday, Feb. 22 at 7:00pm in RHN 1.001 (Classroom)
- Monday, Feb. 26 at 8:00pm in RHSW 2.002 (MP Room)
- Wednesday, Feb. 28 at 5:00pm in RHNW 1.001 (Classroom)
- Tuesday, Mar. 6 at 6:00pm in RHSW 1.001 (Classroom)
- Wednesday, Mar. 21 at 7:00pm in RHNW 1.001 (Classroom)
- Thursday, Mar. 22 at 5:00pm in RHN 2.002 (MP Room)
Conference Assistant Selection Timeline
- March 1: Applications Available
- March 26: Applications due by 5pm
- March 27-April 10: Interviews
- April 13: Decision e-mails sent out
- April 18: Offer letters due back
- April 30: Staff meeting at 10pm
- May 17-22: MANDATORY Training
- May 22: First groups arrive