International Travel Authorization for Students
UT System requires that students traveling on behalf of UT Dallas obtain travel authorization and register their trip in International SOS prior to departure. Students include Teaching Assistants, Teaching Associates and Research Assistants.
A student group is two or more UTD students, or one or more UTD faculty/staff traveling with one or more UTD students.
Please contact the International Center at [email protected] if you have any questions.
6 – 3 months prior to departure
Review risk and safety issues
- Research the destination, identify risks and determine how to mitigate them, review the Traveler Guidelines for resources.
- Request a security expert to review the trip itinerary and provide risk and safety advise tailored to the trip. If a student group, the RUO/Sponsor can obtain a trip review for the whole group.
- Submit risk authorization request documents to the International Center at [email protected]
- The International Center will request risk authorization on the traveler’s behalf and notify them of the decision.
6 – 4 weeks prior to departure
Register your trip and review your insurance
- Register the trip itinerary in International SOS (ISOS). Follow instructions on the page. Register any side trips as soon as you have itinerary details for them.
- Register the trip in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). U.S. Citizens can register at https://step.state.gov/step/. Non-US citizens should follow any similar guidance provided by their country of citizenship.
- Review insurance benefits, exclusions, coverage period, and fee: utdallas.edu/rs/insurance/
Collect all required documents listed below:
- B14-F form. The department arranging, funding, organizing or sponsoring the trip is considered the RUO. The form should be signed by the RUO/Sponsor. For students traveling on education abroad programs, unless otherwise determined, Education Abroad is considered the RUO. The RUO will sign and include the B14-F form in the student’s travel authorization request.
- B4-E form. Release and Indemnification Agreement, with the student’s signature.
- B4-C form. Medical Information and Release form, with the student’s signature.
- B16-EXC form. If the student is taking UTD-owned devices or equipment on the trip, the form must have the signature from the Office of Research Compliance (ORC), send to [email protected]. ORC will return this form to you, include it in your request.
- Foreign contact information (must include dates, physical address, and contact phone number). Ex. traveler is going to a conference, submit the hotel(s) contact information and dates the traveler will be there. If needed submit in a separate page. We want to be able to give ISOS a dot on a map in case of emergency, such as evacuation.
- Copy of passport ID page.
- Register Airline Itinerary on International SOS (ISOS), and print a screenshot of the registration, include it in the request.
- If you will need a letter of medical, evacuation and repatriation coverage for visa purposes, include the official requirements for the letter specified by the country embassy, or institution.
- If you will travel to Cuba, include the Cuba Travel Affidavit form and the Certification of Activity for Travel to Cuba.
Submit all the required documents
Submit all the required documents for the traveler or travelers (if a group) at the same time. Lack of trip registration in ISOS, or missing information or documents will delay travel authorization.
- Education Abroad travel. Submit through the Comets Abroad portal, or by e-mail to [email protected], or in person at SSB3.400.
- University Business travel. Submit all required documents to [email protected].
- The International Center will review the request, submit it to the President’s Designee for institutional authorization, and provide a notification of the trip to the UT Dallas Police.
- The President’s Designee will review the request, give institutional authorization, file the request with Procurement Management at [email protected], and provide a copy to the International Center at [email protected]. At this point the travel authorization request is complete.