Tuition and Financial Aid

Financial Aid

The Student Financial Aid Office is available to assist students in obtaining funds to attend the University. Aid is available in the form of loans, grants, and part-time employment or any combination of those programs. Limited numbers of scholarships are available. The total amount of aid a student receives depends on the level of financial need, submission of appropriate financial information and applications, academic records, and the availability of funds.

Students are encouraged to contact the Financial Aid Office to obtain appropriate application materials and to determine eligibility for the various forms of aid available. The Financial Aid Office is located in the lower level of the McDermott Library, (972) 883-2941. Students may also apply for financial aid, check the status of their application, or contact the Financial Aid Office through our website at

Information concerning student financial aid is accurate at the time of printing. Changes in regulations or policy on a federal, state, university, private lending, or donor level could affect the types of programs, amounts available, and/or program requirements. A complete overview of the cost of attending the university if available at our website at


Most of the aid listed in this catalog is awarded on the basis of financial need. Students are encouraged to determine the amount of resources that they can provide toward their education and to compare it with the average cost of attending the University. Student budgets are reviewed annually in accordance with federal and state guidelines. Federal guidelines outline what can be included in student budgets. The costs of tuition and fees, books and supplies, an average room and board cost, in-city transportation, and a limited amount for other personal expenses are the basic components of student budgets. When documentation is presented, the cost of childcare and costs of the student’s out-of-pocket expenses related to the student’s medical disability can also be included.

Financial need is the difference between the costs of attending the University and the amount a student and/or family can reasonably provide. The amount of the expected family contribution is based on federal guidelines reflecting total family income, assets, and number of dependent children currently attending post-secondary educational institutions. Family contribution is expected unless it is clearly established that the student is independent of any family support.

In determining whether a student is considered independent or self-supporting, the Financial Aid Office adheres to the standards set by the Department of Education to establish applicant’s dependency status. Students 24 years or older are considered financially independent. Students under the age of 24 are considered financially dependent unless they are orphans, wards of the court, emancipated minors, verifiable unaccompanied homeless youths, veterans, active duty military, graduate students, married, or unmarried but with legal dependents. Both self-supporting and dependent students must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form in order that a determination can be made of the expected resources available to the applicants.

Renewal of Financial Aid

For a student to be considered for a renewal of financial aid, a new Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and supporting documents must be submitted for each academic year. The FAFSA is available January 1st for each year for the subsequent academic year. The awarding of renewal aid is subject to the same considerations used in awarding all previous financial assistance.

Required Course Load

The course load requirement for students receiving each type of aid, with the exception of the Federal Pell Grant, is at least one-half the normal course load. Aid recipients should not reduce their course loads below the qualifying minimum hours as it may affect receiving financial assistance at a later date. Undergraduate students must maintain no fewer than 6 credit hours for each term of enrollment. There is no distinction between a regular, long semester and a short summer term when determining the required course load.  Students should contact the Financial Aid Office before they reduce their course load to determine what effect the reduced course load will have on current and future financial aid eligibility. 

Revocation of Financial Aid

Financial aid packages are reviewed by the Financial Aid Office and canceled if the student fails to maintain satisfactory academic progress, or fails to enroll in and maintain the minimum number of course load hours. Aid packages may also be revoked because of changes in financial status. Partial or full repayment of awards may be required. In some instances, immediate repayment may be required.

Any change in a recipient’s financial situation, such as additional scholarships, loans, or change in employment status, must be reported to the Financial Aid Office because compliance with federal regulations may require a revision of awards.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Federal Financial Aid

The University of Texas at Dallas has a “Satisfactory Academic Progress” policy for a student receiving federal student financial assistance.

Generally, the student is expected to remain in good standing by the satisfactory completion of a minimum number of credit hours, based on a percentage of the credit hours attempted and completed for each term of enrollment. This completion rate may vary depending on the student’s academic level and credit hour load. In addition, undergraduate students must maintain a GPA of 2.00 or higher on a 4.00 scale or above on all course work completed at the University. For more detailed information the student should contact the Financial Aid Office. This information is also available online at the Financial Aid Office web site at A copy of the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy is made available to all recipients of financial aid with their award letter.

Selective Service

Male students between the ages of 18 and 26 must be registered with Selective Service to qualify for Federal student loans or grant programs. This includes Federal Pell Grants, Federal College Work Study, Federal Stafford Student/Plus Loans, and Federal Perkins Loans. The Selective Service requirement also applies to Texas student loans and grant programs. Students may register or verify their registration with Selective Service or verify their registration at