The Office of Student AccessAbility aims to enhance the quality of life for students by removing disability barriers and providing equal access to help them reach their academic goals.
Kerry S. Tate, MS
Kerry Tate has a master’s degree from Texas A&M-Commerce in special education and psychology. She received her undergraduate degree from Cottey College and Texas Woman’s University and is working on an advanced degree at UT Dallas. Kerry spent several semesters studying abroad in Scotland and England. She joined the UT Dallas as the Student AccessAbility coordinator in 2000.
Kerry is currently serving on the Texas AHEAD board and is actively involved with the International AHEAD organization. She enjoys visiting the Disney Parks and collecting Mickey Mouse memorabilia.
- Coordinates the University’s program of service for students with disabilities.
- Responds to requests for general information from enrolled students, and program information from potential students and family members.
- Responds to requests for interpretation of legal mandates on campus-specific issues related to ADAAA.
- Interprets Federal laws (Section 504/ADAAA) and court rulings and interpretations affecting services for students with disabilities.
- Assists in establishing and enforcing goals and objectives and developing policies, procedures and guidelines for students with disabilities to obtain services.
- Performs intake interviews of students with disabilities and determines need for accommodations.
- Counsels, coordinates and analyzes academic support services.
- Analyzes neuropsychological documentation to determine eligibility for accommodations.
- Provides interpreting services to students who are deaf and hard of hearing.
- Screens, evaluates and recommends hiring of interpreters or contract agencies to maintain qualified services.
- Coordinates interpreting services for meetings, programs and special events.
Melissa Wyder, BS
Melissa joined the Office of Student AccessAbility in 2009. She holds a bachelor’s degree in business administration from the University of Texas at Dallas. She has over 12 years of administrative experience in the private sector and co-owns a 15-year-old business with her husband. Melissa has a long standing commitment to UT Dallas. She is a Staff Council representative and a proud parent of two UT Dallas students.
- Serves as assistant to the director.
- Coordinates and oversees all administrative duties associated with general office operations.
- Monitors departmental budgets.
- Coordinates and oversees alternative testing.