- Junior Tanner Landry became the third UT Dallas student-athlete this year to earn Academic All-America honors as he collected third team recognition by the College Sports Information Directors of America last week. Landry, who already completed his bachelor's and masters degree in finance, is the first men's golfer to earn the distinction and joins fellow Comets Sam Konstanty (men's soccer, 1st Team) and Michelle Toro (volleyball, 3rd Team) as honorees during the 2015-16 academic year.
- A total of 41 student-athletes earned Academic All-ASC honors for the spring semester. In all, 82 Comets received the honor during the 2015-16 academic year.
- Freshman Melissa Livermore became the first softball player to achieve All-America status as she was named third team All-America by the National Fastpitch Coaches Association. Livermore led the ASC and ranked second in NCAA Division III this spring with 56 stolen bases.
- Seniors Kayla Jordan and Jordan Rubel were named Student Athletes of the Year for 2015-16. Kayla Jordan was honorable mention All-American for the volleyball program, while Rubel was a first team All-ASC pick this past fall in men's soccer. Both led their respective programs to ASC championships.
- In all, 63 student-athletes earn All-ASC recognition during the 2015-16 academic year, with 10 all-region selections and two All-Americans. The Comets claimed two ASC titles, while nine of the Comets' 13 sports teams finished fourth or better in the ASC.
Dean of Students - Health and Wellness Initiatives
- Clinical services/sessions for the week of May 30: Intakes, consultation and counseling (79), crisis services (1), psychiatric evaluations and treatment (20), couple and group counseling (4).
- Center for Students in Recovery services for the week of May 30: Individual recovery support (3), other contacts (7). Group meetings: 12 step-all addictions (1), meditation group (1), Nourish eating disorder support group (1), SMART (1).
- June 18: CPR/AED certification, 10 a.m.-12 p.m., Activity Center Athletics Conference room. Enroll online.
Dean of Students - Student Transition Initiatives
New Student Programs
- Upcoming Freshman Orientation dates: June 13-14, June 16-17, June 27-28, June 30-July 1, July 7-8, Aug. 14-15.
- Kaitlin Chapman accepted the administrative assistant I position. She joined the office June 6.
- Administrative assistant II search is ongoing.
Student Transition Programs
- Upcoming Transfer Orientation dates: June 20, Aug. 10, Aug. 16.
Veteran Services Center
- July 15: Summer Green Zone training, 9 a.m.-noon. Registration is required.
- Beginning this fall, the Veteran Services Center is implementing an adviser program called Peer Advisors for Veteran Education (PAVE). If you know student veterans willing to volunteer a few hours each month to work with incoming student veterans, please have them contact the VSC.
Finance and Administrative Services
- You're invited to AVP/DOS candidate presentations: June 15, 10 a.m., and June 21, 11 a.m., both in Galaxy Room B.
- Fiscal year-end is fast approaching. Please plan ahead and finalize transactions as soon as possible, including catering contracts for August events that you want charged against your FY 2016 budget.
- Welcome Dan Goodwin, director of the Student Union, who started June 1.
Diversity and Community Engagement
- June 16: Annual staff Juneteenth Bakeoff. Complete details and registration information are available online.
- June 17: Juneteenth Celebration, 5 p.m., North Mall Plaza.
- Elise Connolly recently joined the center as administrative assistant.