Sept. 25, 2017
Awards and Acknowledgements
- Ellie Hakim, associate director of the Student Counseling Center, was recently honored at the 40th Annual Conference for the Association of Counseling Center Training Agencies. She received the Helen Roehlke Award, for her enthusiasm, commitment, support and overall service to the organization.
Vice President for Student Affairs
- As of Sept. 22, the Green Team has 34 points and the Orange Team has 44. Points were accumulated through attendance at the SA happy hour, participation in the Kahoots game and webinar watching. Keep an eye out for more opportunities to earn points for your team!
- Sept. 26: Volleyball vs. Texas-Tyler (home opener), 7 p.m., Activity Center.
- Sept. 30: Women's soccer vs. Howard Payne, 5 p.m., soccer field.
- Sept. 30: Men's soccer vs. Howard Payne, 7:30 p.m., soccer. Members of the 2007 American Southwest Conference championship team have been invited back to campus and will be recognized at halftime.
- Oct. 6: Volleyball vs. Louisiana College, 7 p.m., Activity Center.
- Oct. 13: Comet Club Classic Golf Tournament, Courses at Waters Creek in Allen. Register to enter as an individual or foursome. For more information, contact Rob Bogardus at extension 6166.
Dean of Students
Community Standards and Conduct
- New cases for the week of Sept. 11: Academic dishonesty (7), misconduct (2).
Health & Wellness Initiatives
- Clinical services/sessions for the week of Sept. 11: Initial and follow-up evaluations (62), consultation and counseling (75), crisis services (39), psychiatric evaluations and treatment (27), group and couple counseling (64), testing (2), outreach (3)
- Center for Students in Recovery services for the week of Sept. 11: Recovery assessment (4), recovery planning (2), other contacts (63). Group meetings: Alcoholics Anonymous (1), wellness connection (1), Nourish eating disorder support group (1), community service (1), SMART (1), campus open recovery (1), yoga (1), Narcotics Anonymous (1), refuge recovery (1), outreach (4).
- Sept. 27: Free dental cleaning, 9:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Galaxy Room B.
- Oct. 7: The pool will open at 2 p.m. due to a swim meet.
- Sept. 25-29: Suicide Prevention Week.
- Sept. 26: 22 Kill Pushup Challenge, 12-2 p.m., Chess Plaza.
- Sept. 27: Painting Positive Vibes, 12-2 p.m., Spirit Rocks.
- Sept. 29: 13 Reasons Why Not, 12-1 p.m., Galaxy Room B.
Student Engagement Initiatives
- Homecoming Parade registration is open.
- Sept. 25: Nominations for the October Student Leadership Spotlight due.
- Sept. 25: Applications for the Student Leadership Advisory Board close.
- Sept. 26: Comet Day, 12-2 p.m., Student Union Mall.
- Sept. 28: "The Princess Bride" 30th anniversary celebration, including a demonstration from the UTD Fencing Club, 7 p.m., SSA Auditorium.
- Sept. 30: The Student Services Building will be closed, but both the Student Union and Student Services Addition will be open 7 a.m.-2 a.m.
- Oct. 4: "It Comes at Night," with special guest speaker about the history of horror films, 7 p.m., SSA Auditorium.
- Oct. 5: Lift Off Music Series presents The Riverside, 7-9 p.m., the Plinth.
- Oct. 2: OSV Info Booth, 12-1 p.m., SU upper level.
- Oct. 3-31: Clothing drive benefitting Out of the Closet retail, in partnership with Galerstein Gender Center. Donation boxes located in SSA 14.431T, AD second floor near elevator, SU first floor lobby, and the Gender Center.
- Oct. 4: Homework Helpers, 3-5 p.m., SSA lobby. Registration required.
- Oct. 6: Adopt-a-highway, 9-11 a.m., SSA lobby. Registration Required.
Student Transition Initiatives
New Student Programs
Student Transition Programs
- Sept. 27: Transfer Coffee and Conversations, 9-11 a.m., SSA 14.431.
- Transfer orientation for students entering in spring 2018: Oct. 20.
Military and Veteran Center
- Sept. 26: 22 Push-up Challenge, 12-2 p.m., Chess Plaza.
- Oct. 10: Military Appreciation Volleyball Game, 7-9 p.m., AB 1.2.
- Oct. 11: Green Zone Training, 9 a.m.-12 p.m., SSA 14.245.
- CometNet has been discontinued in parts of University Housing due to the instability of wireless network devices. Students are utilizing the original Time Warner/Spectrum service until further notice.
- Save the Date: Oct. 19, 10:30 a.m., Canyon Creek Heights Ribbon Cutting.
- Anthony Scott recently joined as a maintenance technician II.
Marketing and Student Media
- Sept. 27: Radio UTD hosts Karaoke in The Pub, 7:30 p.m.
- Sept. 28: UTD TV hosts Improv Night, 7 p.m., The Pub.
Galerstein Gender Center
- Sept. 26: CommuniTEA: iFeminism, 12-1 p.m., SSB 4.300.
- Oct. 6: Ally Appreciation Luncheon for Trained SAFE ZONE Allies, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., SSB 4.300, contact Jacqueline Prince for more information.
|Follow Temoc on Social Media: