Faculty and Staff
The Student Success Center (SSC) works closely with faculty to support academic student success at UT Dallas. We partner with faculty to:
The Testing Center is a proctored, technologically advanced computer testing lab with more than 150 computers to support online exams and quizzes in an array of courses.
To schedule quizzes and exams in the Testing Center, complete the Exam Reservation Form. Only UT Dallas faculty members are permitted to schedule tests in the Testing Center. Hours of operation are subject to change, so please check the Testing Center homepage for the latest updates.
For more information:
- Visit the Testing Center Faculty Resources page.
- Download the Testing Center Faculty Guidelines (pdf).
Academic integrity is ensured in the Testing Center through video surveillance and remote monitoring of computer stations. Lockers are provided to prohibit students from bringing personal items into the center. A valid ID is required to take exams.
To learn more, contact Sou Leaney or call 972-883-6734.
The Math Lab offers free help to UT Dallas students who are seeking assistance with concepts involving math, physics and statistics.
For more information or to request a speaker from the Math Lab, contact Kelli Wellborn or call 972-883-5476.
Whether your students are just starting college or working on a dissertation, the Writing Center is a valuable resource. Our consultants will work with students on written projects ranging from rhetorical analysis papers, to personal essays, to graduate school applications.
- We offer free one-on-one consultations to currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students.
- Tutoring sessions last 25 or 50 minutes for undergraduates (3 sessions per week) and 50 minutes for graduate students (2 sessions per week).
- Writing workshops are offered each fall and spring semester.
For more information or to request a speaker from the Writing Center, contact Mallory Matyk or call 972-883-5484.
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a formal partnership between a faculty member and an SI Leader. SI Leader candidates are recommended by faculty. Once chosen, the SI Leader will set up weekly appointments to meet with the faculty member for resources, assistance and course direction.
SI offers free study sessions for historically difficult courses. Our institutional data shows that on average, students who regularly attend SI earn 1/2 to one whole letter grade higher than non-SI participants.
- Sessions are facilitated by students who have previously done well in the targeted courses.
- SI guides students through class material in a collaborative environment where students work together to discuss important concepts, compare notes, develop strategies for studying the subject, and test each other.
- Students may attend three one-hour sessions per week.
Peer-Led Team Learning+
Peer-Led Team Learning (PLTL) is an innovative model for engaging students in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields. Sessions are designed to encourage problem-solving strategies in pairs and in groups. UT Dallas and national studies show that on average, students who regularly attend PLTL earn 1/2 to one whole letter grade higher than non-PLTL participants.
- Small groups of students meet once a week for 80-minute workshops led by a PLTL Leader. Weekly participation is expected.
- Participation in PLTL is free. It is also course-specific and requires registration in Galaxy.
- Faculty recommendation is required to become a PLTL Leader.
If you are interested in setting up PLTL for your course, contact Kortney House or call 972-883-5486.
The goal of Peer Tutoring is to assist students in developing strategies that will help strengthen knowledge, develop transferable learning skills, and achieve academic success. All Peer Tutors are students who have excellent academic standing and excel in the areas in which they tutor.
For more information, email Jody Everson or call 972-883-2772.
We Help UT Dallas Students Succeed
Interested in sharing what the SSC offers your students? Contact or visit our main office to have a speaker come talk to your class about our services and resources.