The Student Success Center works closely with faculty to support academic student success at UT Dallas. We partner with faculty to:
- Connect with students about available resources in writing, math, science and other subjects.
- Recruit qualified tutors, PLTL leaders and SI Leaders.
- Provide a secure testing environment.
- Provide real-time feedback for our staff on student academic needs.
Our Services Include
Whether your students are just starting college or working on a dissertation, the Writing Center is a resource to help them improve their writing.
Our consultants will work with students on anything from rhetorical analysis papers, to personal essays, to graduate school applications.
- We offer one-on-one consultations FREE of charge to currently enrolled University of Texas at Dallas undergraduate and graduate students.
- Consultations typically last 45 minutes and are limited to two per week per student.
- Write-on-Site workshops are offered each fall and spring semester. View details online:Writing Center Workshops
- To request a speaker from the Writing Center for your course and for additional information contact Daniel Heffner Christopher.email@example.com or call (972) 883-5484.
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a formal partnership between a faculty member and a SI leader. The SI leader candidates are recommended by faculty.
Once chosen, the SI leader will set-up weekly appointments to meet with the faculty member for resources, assistance, and course direction.
SI offers FREE, out of class, study sessions for historically difficult courses. Our institutional data shows that students who regularly attend SI earn, on average, 1/2 to 1 whole letter grade higher than non-SI participants.
- Sessions are facilitated by students who have previously done well in the targeted courses.
- SI guides students through class material in a collaborative environment where students work together to discuss important concepts, compare notes, develop strategies for studying the subject, and test each other.
- Students may attend three, 1 hour voluntary sessions per week.
- For additional information contact the Program Coordinator, Tiffanie Douglas firstname.lastname@example.org or call (972) 883-6850.
The Testing Center is a proctored, technologically advanced computer testing lab with more than 150 computers to support online exams and quizzes in an array of courses.
Academic integrity is ensured in the Testing Center through video surveillance and remote monitoring of each individual computer station inside the Testing Center. Students are prohibited from bringing any testing aids or personal items into the Testing Center. Lockers are provided free of charge. A valid UT Dallas ID is required to take exams.
- For full details about the use of the Testing Center, please read our Testing Center Faculty Guidelines
- To schedule quizzes and exams in the Testing Center complete the Faculty Exam Reservation Form.
Note: This form works best with the FireFox browser
For additional information contact Sou Leaney email@example.com or call (972) 883-6734.
- Always check for unavailable dates and times before submitting your request.
- Only UT Dallas faculty members are permitted to schedule tests, quizzes, etc. in our Testing Center.
The Math Lab is staffed by learning specialists and tutors who help undergraduates and graduates become successful.
- We offer small group tutoring sessions in an interactive, conversational lab environment. Walk-ins are welcome.
- Test reviews are frequently conducted. View details online: mathlab.
- To request a speaker for your course and for additional information contact Daniel Uribe firstname.lastname@example.org or call (972) 883-5489.
Peer-Led Team Learning (PLTL) is an innovative model for engaging students—especially in the science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields.
Sessions are designed to encourage problem-solving strategies in pairs and in groups. UT Dallas and national studies show that students who regularly attend PLTL earn, on average, 1/2 to 1 whole letter grade higher than non-PLTL participants.
- Small groups of students meet once a week for 80-minute workshop sessions led by a Peer Leader. Weekly participation is expected.
- Participation in PLTL is FREE, course-specific, and requires registration in Orion.
- Faculty recommendation is required to become a Peer Leader. Students participating in workgroups become more self-sufficient in managing learning behaviors, approaches to group study, and time.
- If you are interested in setting up PLTL for your course, please contact Michael Saenz email@example.com or call (972) 883-6844.
Do you have a student looking for a personalized plan for academic success? Any full-time student, including upperclassmen or freshman, may request academic coaching by contacting the Student Success Center.
Success coaching is FREE of charge and individually tailored to the needs of each student, and can address areas such as:
- Study skills that can enhance learning and memory of academic information.
- Organization and time management.
- Test taking and test anxiety.
- Academic planning and preparation for pre-registration for courses.
- To refer a student, call the Student Success Center.
- To request a speaker for your course and for additional information contact Mary Kaye Adams firstname.lastname@example.org or call (972) 883-6707.
Check our website each semester to see which subjects have free tutoring available. If your course would benefit from Peer Tutoring, ask your department head to contact the Program Coordinator.
- All Peer Tutors are students who have excellent academic standing and excel in the areas in which they tutor.
- The goal of each tutoring session is to assist students in developing strategies that will help strengthen knowledge, develop transferable learning skills, and achieve academic success.
- For further information contact Jody Everson Jody.Everson@utdallas.edu or call (972) 883-2772.