Would you like to be a Peer Educator in the Student Success Center?
The Student Success Center is hiring PLTL Leaders,
SI Leaders, and Tutors for Spring 2014.
Description and Responsibilities of the 3 Positions:
1) Peer-Led Team Learning (PLTL) is a nationally recognized mean of engaging students especially in the science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields. Students who participate in PLTL not only reap the benefits of higher engagement with, and application of, course material, but also connect socially with peer leaders who have prior knowledge, experience, and success in a course.
- Conduct weekly collaborative sessions at the Student Success Center
- Attend the weekly peer leader/liaison meeting
- Complete all assigned work
- Maintain attendance records for each section you lead
- Participate in debriefing surveys and discussions about the PLTL program
2) Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a series of weekly peer-led study sessions for students taking historically difficult courses. SI is for all students who want to improve both their understanding of course material and their grades. SI sessions are facilitated by a trained SI leader who has previously excelled in the targeted course. SI leaders attend the targeted course, take notes, do the readings and homework just as the enrolled students. The leaders also meet regularly with the professor to discuss what concepts should be stressed in the weekly sessions.
- Plan and facilitate up to three 60-minute interactive study sessions per week
- Maintain attendance records
- Coordinate effective recruitment/marketing strategies with the SI program coordinator
3) Peer Tutors hold sessions each week throughout the semester and meet one-on-one or in small groups with students who need assistance with coursework. Tutoring sessions are designed to meet students' individual questions and needs, but the tutors do not provide direct answers for homework/exams. Tutors help develop self-confidence and improve study skills.
- Hold drop-in office hours or appointments for a minimum of six hours per week throughout the semester
- Maintain attendance records
- Plan exam reviews as you see fit, attend monthly tutor training sessions, communicate with faculty as needed
Qualifications for all 3 positions:
- Earned a grade of A- or higher in the course(s) for which you are applying to tutor/instruct
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- Currently enrolled at UT Dallas
- Satisfactory faculty recommendation
If you are interested in multiple positions or just want to interview for more than one position (to learn more about them), you must apply individually to each one.
- Log in to your CometCareers account.
- Fill out the Student Success Center Employment Application.
- Go to the Resource Library
- Select the Student Resources folder
- Select the appropriate application form(s), fill out, and save.
- Spring 2014 PLTL Employment Application
- Spring 2014 SI Employment Application
- Spring 2014 Tutor Employment Application
- Select the My Documents tab and upload your 3 documents
- Your resume
- Your unofficial transcript
- The PLTL / SI / Tutor application (which goes in the “Miscellaneous” category)
- 54359 for Tutors
- 54360 for PLTL
- 54361 for SI
Note: Make sure your resume, unofficial transcript and the Employment Application are already uploaded into CometCareers before trying to apply.
© 2013 University of Texas at Dallas | Student Success Center | 800 West Campbell Road, Richardson, TX 75080 | 972-883-6707