Would you like to be a Peer Educator in the Student Success Center?
The Student Success Center is now taking applications for Fall 2014 Peer Educators. Please see below for job descriptions and how to apply. You may apply for multiple leader positions.
Deadline to apply is Wednesday, March 26, 2014.
Description and Responsibilities of the 3 Positions:
1) Peer-Led Team Learning (PLTL) is a nationally recognized mean of engaging students especially in the science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields. Students who participate in PLTL not only reap the benefits of higher engagement with, and application of, course material, but also connect socially with peer leaders who have prior knowledge, experience, and success in a course.
- Conduct weekly collaborative sessions at the Student Success Center
- Attend the weekly peer leader/liaison meeting
- Complete all assigned work
- Maintain attendance records for each section you lead
- Participate in debriefing surveys and discussions about the PLTL program
2) Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a series of weekly peer-led study sessions for students taking historically difficult courses. SI is for all students who want to improve both their understanding of course material and their grades. SI sessions are facilitated by a trained SI leader who has previously excelled in the targeted course. SI leaders attend the targeted course, take notes, do the readings and homework just as the enrolled students. The leaders also meet regularly with the professor to discuss what concepts should be stressed in the weekly sessions.
- Plan and facilitate up to three 60-minute interactive study sessions per week
- Maintain attendance records
- Coordinate effective recruitment/marketing strategies with the SI program coordinator
3) Peer Tutors hold sessions each week throughout the semester and meet one-on-one or in small groups with students who need assistance with coursework. Tutoring sessions are designed to meet students' individual questions and needs, but the tutors do not provide direct answers for homework/exams. Tutors help develop self-confidence and improve study skills.
- Hold drop-in office hours or appointments for a minimum of six hours per week throughout the semester
- Maintain attendance records
- Plan exam reviews as you see fit, attend monthly tutor training sessions, communicate with faculty as needed
Qualifications for all 3 positions:
- Earned a grade of A- or higher in the course(s) for which you are applying to tutor/instruct
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- Currently enrolled at UT Dallas
- Satisfactory faculty recommendation
- Log in to your CometCareers account.
- Select the My Documents tab and upload your 2 documents
- Your resume
- Your most recent unofficial transcript
- Click on the “Opportunities” tab
- Select “Part-time On-Campus Jobs”
- Enter Job ID #57711 -- Fall 2014 Student Success Center Peer Educator (PLTL leader, SI leader, Tutor)
- Follow ALL instructions under “Application Instructions”. You will have to submit your resume/transcript via CometCareers AND fill out this online application.
- Students that do not complete both steps of the application process will not be considered for employment.
© 2014 University of Texas at Dallas | Student Success Center | 800 West Campbell Road, Richardson, TX 75080 | 972-883-6707