Would you like to be a Peer Educator in the Student Success Center?
The Student Success Center is looking to hire dynamic students with good interpersonal and communication skills as Peer-Led Team Learning (PLTL) leaders and Supplemental Instruction (SI) leaders for specific Spring 2015 courses.
Description and Responsibilities of the 3 Positions:
1) Peer-Led Team Learning (PLTL) is a nationally recognized mean of engaging students especially in the science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields. Students who participate in PLTL not only reap the benefits of higher engagement with, and application of, course material, but also connect socially with peer leaders who have prior knowledge, experience, and success in a course.
- Conduct weekly collaborative sessions at the Student Success Center
- Attend the weekly peer leader/liaison meeting
- Complete all assigned work
- Maintain attendance records for each section you lead
- Participate in debriefing surveys and discussions about the PLTL program
2) Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a series of weekly peer-led study sessions for students taking historically difficult courses. SI is for all students who want to improve both their understanding of course material and their grades. SI sessions are facilitated by a trained SI leader who has previously excelled in the targeted course. SI leaders attend the targeted course, take notes, do the readings and homework just as the enrolled students. The leaders also meet regularly with the professor to discuss what concepts should be stressed in the weekly sessions.
- Plan and facilitate two 90-minute or three 60-minute interactive study sessions per week
- Coordinate effective recruitment/marketing strategies with the SI program coordinator
- Plan exam reviews as you see fit, attend team meetings, communicate with faculty as needed
- Attend unpaid training January 8-9, 2014
Qualifications for Both Positions:
- Earned a grade of A- or higher in the course(s) for which you are applying to tutor/instruct
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- Currently enrolled at UT Dallas
- Satisfactory faculty recommendation(form will be given to candidates)
Deadline to Apply:
- PLTL – Sunday, November 2, 2014 at 11:59 PM
- SI – Monday, November 3, 2014 at 11:59 PM
- Log in to your CometCareers account.
- Select “Part-time On-Campus Jobs”
- Enter Job ID:
64214 to apply for PLTL
64395 to apply for SI
- Follow ALL instructions under“Application Instructions”.
You will have to submit via CometCareers, your application, resume, and unofficial transcript.